Nanohone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corradobrit1

Reaction score
Seems Carter has been promoting this system quite heavily recently. What do people who have actually used it think? Who is this system really aimed at? The amateur looking to up his game or will it satisfy the accomplished whetstone sharpeners?

I am yet to google what it is, but I am getting the feel that is yet another cool aid that is about to take KKF by storm :D

It does turn me off the *Carter* brand. For me Carter was more appealing 3-7 years ago when it was a one-man show. Its become a lot more production orientated these days. A little too slick for their own good.

Last edited:
I wouldn't dismiss Nanohones because of Cait and Carter Cutlery. I will say the stones are no better than other good, known brands. They're another option. If the lapping plates were about 15-25% cheaper, I would recommend them. Right now, if price isn't an issue, go for them. Otherwise get an Atoma or DMT Dia-flat. Or Suehiro Tairagain for coarse stones.

I wouldn't dismiss Nanohones because of Cait and Carter Cutlery. I will say the stones are no better than other good, known brands. They're another option. If the lapping plates were about 15-25% cheaper, I would recommend them. Right now, if price isn't an issue, go for them. Otherwise get an Atoma or DMT Dia-flat. Or Suehiro Tairagain for coarse stones.
I meant Carter knives not Nanohone but I can see I wasn't clear.

They've came under my radar a few days ago. Couldn't find out why they were so special so I decided to put the idea aside.

I guess I just don’t get it. I have a lot of respect for Murray’s knives and awesome sharpening skills. I spent 55 years sharpening on a 2x8 soft Arkansas stone and a hard Arkansas pocket stone when I wanted a finer finish. Now I have a variety of water stones yet I seem to always use the same 2 or 3. A $2000 Nano hone setup. Would I get sharper knives? Maybe, but it seems anything past 1000 grit is mostly for looks. I just don’t get it. I seem to recall Murray saying sharpening is 95% technique and 5% equipment. I just don’t get it.

I guess I just don’t get it. I have a lot of respect for Murray’s knives and awesome sharpening skills. I spent 55 years sharpening on a 2x8 soft Arkansas stone and a hard Arkansas pocket stone when I wanted a finer finish. Now I have a variety of water stones yet I seem to always use the same 2 or 3. A $2000 Nano hone setup. Would I get sharper knives? Maybe, but it seems anything past 1000 grit is mostly for looks. I just don’t get it. I seem to recall Murray saying sharpening is 95% technique and 5% equipment. I just don’t get it.
The answer to all your questions is : money.

It's weird because he always just taught using an inexpensive King 1000/6000 and that was what he sold online. /shrug
Exactly. Spoke to him on the phone last year and thats exactly what he recommended, poopooing Jnats etc. Wonder what changed?

You can’t fault somebody from trying to build their business. I like Murray’s knives and his sharpening skills are unparalleled. I guess the problem is how the public handle his 180 from a couple of stones and lots of practice to an expensive sharpening “system” with the implication that the expensive system is the route to sharpening skills. Next thing you know you will be able to buy nano hones on Amazon and eBay. Then what?

Wow:

https://nanohone.com/collections/the-universal-system-1/products/round-sharpening-pond

$195 for a serving tray with a bit of rubber stuck to the bottom.

It's a bargain though, considering that the rectangular version costs $230:

https://nanohone.com/collections/the-universal-system-1/products/large-sharpening-pond

This is the rectangular one I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hubulk-Dog...n-Slip-Mess-/273834292029?hash=item3fc1cbb33d

Admittedly, it's not quite as pretty. But it was eighteen times cheaper…

Last edited:
I would like to hear some feedback about the 200.

The stones have OK price, offering bases for 3rd party stones is interesting, the accessories are badly overpriced.

The bases for 3rd party stones are just aluminum plates. They are badly overpriced. Check the prices for aluminum plates online....

I discuss my overall experience with the NH stones here:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/nano-hone.38980/

I agree with most folks’ comments about the accessories that make the “system.” I use all my stones with towels and a basic rubber stone holder when necessary. For me, sink bridges and ponds are useless: never had a need for those things.

However, the stones are well- made and effective tools. I do not find the prices of the stones themselves offensive at all.

unsure about the stones, but the lapping plates do seem to provide an advantage. agree that the prices are questionable for someone who is not constantly flattening but i can imagine if youre doing it daily multiple times then the button construction ones (nl8, nl10) could be beneficial. Anecdotally when i tested them out, they were much heavier compared to atoma which helped to flatten faster, got stuck less due to the button construction, and feel better in the hand (atoma has sharp edges).

The “Button Tech” plates seem to only make sense for heavy use. Anyone who’s had the Atoma 140 likely has a sense of the effective life of that plate. The unique design of the BT plates keep them near full effectiveness, regardless of how old or worn the plate is. For me the decision was based on cost of frequency~replacement for A140’s, my positive experience with the NH stones, and curiosity.

The lapping plate buttons remind me of the diamond grinding pads that concrete polishing machines use.

Back to the original topic...I feel that Carter may have"jumped the shark" there seems to be a definite change in philosophy...from look you can achieve this with a cinder block and cardboard if you have the right technique... to look how wonderful this whole system is ( Nano hone may well be a good system...never tried it...so I can't comment either way)...and very suddenly at that...

Guess it's pretty lucrative for him... He wants to go and flog Nano hone...his business.,but it flies in the face of everything he's said up until now...it can't be all wrong... we'll see what he has to say...and ultimately have to make our own decisions..

And their Instagram presence/ person responsible for it just lacks people skills...no wait...I lack people skills... they're at a whole different level...

Take care

Jeff

Back