Nao yamamoto ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel_il

Reaction score
iv'e seen his aogami super tuschime on homebutcher, RSK and epic edge.

according to specs and photos they look like a tank, kind of a work horse.

i would be grateful to anybody who share his knowledge about this maker or specific line.

Daniel.

iv'e seen his aogami super tuschime on homebutcher, RSK and epic edge.

according to specs and photos they look like a tank, kind of a work horse.

i would be grateful to anybody who share his knowledge about this maker or specific line.

Daniel.

I was interested too, it looks like it might be a new line of knives?

the specs look good but without hands on it's hard to say. I was tempted to just grab one just to see but kind of a big ask on a maker Im not familiar with.

He apprenticed under Masami Asai (according to Epic Edge staff). Asai's knives were thinner (owned two, stupidly sold them), and took a mean as heck edge. Not masters of food release, but really good cutters. Stainless clad.

My friend bought a Yamamoto knife, AS, KU tsuchime. It was a substantially thicker knife. I wasn't attuned to food release at that point in my learning so can't comment, but it still cut well, but more of a workhorse feel. Not a ton of distal taper, but some. Also, iron clad, reasonably reactive in my friends kitchen at least. Can't comment on edge since I didn't sharpen it, but came up in the same shop as steel I did really like.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=93402

Last edited:
Is that Shiro Kamo or Katsuyasu Kamo? Or someone else entirely?

Different blacksmith, although both from Takefu village.

Kamo knives are kind of unique, they are very tall and thin (almost a laser).

Yamamoto seems like a workhorse with a thick spine and distal taper, quite tall and hefty.

Here's some info about him I got from Daniel at EE awhile back. They carry the old stock where his KU are more workhorse-ish. His migaki from FRKZ look thinner.

Thank you for your email. We hope to continue carrying Yamamoto's knives but regrettably he has slowed down significantly in making knives. His work is a particularly good deal and well made. It is unfortunate that they have become so hard to come by. Yamamoto has become slow enough that we currently wait literally years for his knives to arrive. We have a number on order that we have waited over a decade.

Though Yamamoto is still making knives, he is regrettably not still making the SG2 line. He no longer has any of the steel and has been unable to create the same pattern that Asai was creating. We only have a couple of sizes left and then regrettably this line is done. You are correct that his previous sharpener (Asai's brother) has now retired.

His geometry (as that of his previous master Asai), was truly spectacular. The closest currently, I think is Yoshikane and Wakui.

I had supplied his SG2 when Asai-san was still alive. Regrettably, Yamamoto is slow enough that the quantity makes it impossible to supply the steel (for which minimum quantity is 2 tons).

I ended up with one of @captaincaed 's Asai after another owner or two 😂. I'd spend regrettable money on one of his western SG2 damascus with Daniel's handles.

Last edited:
Homebutcher has sent me some lovely choil pics

F418EB2F-0821-4AC9-BF20-98DB9B500BA8.jpeg

FA76D77F-1770-44C6-82EF-2D5CB3A20A2F.jpeg

Back