Nashiji vs Hammered finish?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover191919

Reaction score
Pros and Cons of each of these finishes?

Considering a White #2 Gyuto 210mm from the same manf with these 2 finish options @ the same price. Are they both purely cosmetic and i just pick what which looks better to me?

Maker? Makes a difference for TF. Nashiji is the cheaper prelaminated line. The hammered Maboroshi and Denka are forged inhouse. Personally I prefer the hammered finish which depending on the grind may aid food release. Sometimes its a bit too extreme imo eg Kamon

Maker? Makes a difference for TF. Nashiji is the cheaper prelaminated line. The hammered Maboroshi and Denka are forged inhouse. Personally I prefer the hammered finish which depending on the grind may aid food release. Sometimes its a bit too extreme imo eg Kamon
Maker i'm talking about is Wakui from KNS

My hammered Wakui is quite a beefy knife. I'm not sure whether the nashiji is thinner (like the nashiji Yoshikanes and the hairline Wakuis are).

I you don't get an answer here, why don't you email James about it?

I would call that Nashiji more Kurouchi. Not a fan of the hammer pattern Wakui. I'd choose the Nashiji/Ku

My hammered Wakui is quite a beefy knife. I'm not sure whether the nashiji is thinner (like the nashiji Yoshikanes and the hairline Wakuis are).

I you don't get an answer here, why don't you email James about it?

I emailed KnS about the nashiji/KU when they first started stocking them. The response I got (not from James but an assistant) described the grind and performance as being similar to the hammered version. Ended up buying a Mazaki instead so I can't speak to it firsthand though.

Back