Natsuya from JNS

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by bennyprofane, Sep 22, 2016.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Sep 22, 2016 #1

bennyprofane

bennyprofane

bennyprofane

Has anyone tried the Natsuya? There is not a lot of info on this stone on this forum yet.

2. Sep 22, 2016 #2
    I am also very curios about the stone, just do not have budget for one right now.

3. Sep 22, 2016 #3

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Nope but when my back is better and NZ customs gestapo release my package i'm going to test the hell out of it.

4. Sep 22, 2016 #4
    I knew there must be a catch to living in NZ ... ;) Keep us posted! :)

5. Sep 23, 2016 #5

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

I've actually had incredible luck thus far... But I think 8Kg of stones got their attention

6. Sep 23, 2016 #6

Marek07

Marek07

Marek07

Supporting Member

Badgertooth, after your recent post where you listed all your stones, I can only think of Pink Floyd... "just another brick in the wall". Surely you have enough now to at least build the front fence. I can see it now - the Great Wall of New Zealand.
    :wink:

7. Sep 26, 2016 #7

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Get one

[​IMG]

It feels nice to sharpen on, leaves shallow scratch pattern and a lot of contrast. And it's drop dead gorgeous tangerine with black marbling.

8. Sep 26, 2016 #8

foody518

foody518

foody518

Supporting Member

@Badgertooth - where in a progression would you say it belongs?

9. Sep 26, 2016 #9
    @Badgertooth - how hard & fast ist is? What kind of edge does it leave? Could you post some photos of the bevels? It looks REALLY nice and I am pondering to get one.

10. Sep 26, 2016 #10

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

Mine is not from jns, said to be mined over 100 years ago. Lighter color with white spots, looks like a block of cheese. It's hard and has super nice feedback, coarse around 600 but slurry breaks down to 1200ish. Works best with a quick soak. Average cutting speed.

11. Sep 27, 2016 #11

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Too early to tell, I gave the trusty Watanabe petty a quick going over and it really accented the contrast between the cladding and the core. The Watanabe is a knife that doesn't really offer up much by way of contrast. But in my impatience to test another stone (an absolute peach of an Okudo) I forgot to take a photo before moving on. It certainly wasn't too much of a jump to a finisher and the resultant edge just sank into some cherry tomatoes.

12. Sep 27, 2016 #12

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

The tactile feedback feels fuzzy (in a good way) making me think it's soft, as does the scratch pattern. But then it offers little by way of mud. Fast-ish for a medium, it didn't take particularly long for that swarf to develop. I was discussing with benny that I've yet to experiment with slurries and really only have the most cursory initial impressions. Panda's assessment sounds more informed than mine as it seems he has had time to get to know it a little. His assessment is also more likely to be representative of what you'll get from JNS (I hope I have it right that Panda's is from JNS. Mine is not and looks a lot more like an example I remember seeing from @asteger ).

13. Sep 27, 2016 #13

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Edit, I'm a boob. Just seen that Panda's isn't from JNS