Natsuya from JNS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennyprofane

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Natsuya? There is not a lot of info on this stone on this forum yet.

Nope but when my back is better and NZ customs gestapo release my package i'm going to test the hell out of it.

I've actually had incredible luck thus far... But I think 8Kg of stones got their attention

Badgertooth, after your recent post where you listed all your stones, I can only think of Pink Floyd... "just another brick in the wall". Surely you have enough now to at least build the front fence. I can see it now - the Great Wall of New Zealand.
:wink:

I knew there must be a catch to living in NZ ... ;) Keep us posted! :)

Get one

It feels nice to sharpen on, leaves shallow scratch pattern and a lot of contrast. And it's drop dead gorgeous tangerine with black marbling.

@Badgertooth - how hard & fast ist is? What kind of edge does it leave? Could you post some photos of the bevels? It looks REALLY nice and I am pondering to get one.

Mine is not from jns, said to be mined over 100 years ago. Lighter color with white spots, looks like a block of cheese. It's hard and has super nice feedback, coarse around 600 but slurry breaks down to 1200ish. Works best with a quick soak. Average cutting speed.

@Badgertooth - where in a progression would you say it belongs?

Too early to tell, I gave the trusty Watanabe petty a quick going over and it really accented the contrast between the cladding and the core. The Watanabe is a knife that doesn't really offer up much by way of contrast. But in my impatience to test another stone (an absolute peach of an Okudo) I forgot to take a photo before moving on. It certainly wasn't too much of a jump to a finisher and the resultant edge just sank into some cherry tomatoes.

@Badgertooth - how hard & fast ist is? What kind of edge does it leave? Could you post some photos of the bevels? It looks REALLY nice and I am pondering to get one.

The tactile feedback feels fuzzy (in a good way) making me think it's soft, as does the scratch pattern. But then it offers little by way of mud. Fast-ish for a medium, it didn't take particularly long for that swarf to develop. I was discussing with benny that I've yet to experiment with slurries and really only have the most cursory initial impressions. Panda's assessment sounds more informed than mine as it seems he has had time to get to know it a little. His assessment is also more likely to be representative of what you'll get from JNS (I hope I have it right that Panda's is from JNS. Mine is not and looks a lot more like an example I remember seeing from @asteger ).

Back