Natural Stone Giveaway! $500 value

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklip13

Reaction score
Hi KKF,

I had this stone up for sale for $500 USD a few weeks ago but I've been motivated to give it away by recent events.

About a month ago I did one of the dumbest things I could possibly ever do. I left my knife roll on a train. A custom leather roll with 4 knives.. two of them were gifts, and one was a Takeda knife I helped forge at his shop.
I was heartbroken, I called everyone I could and even did the rounds at local pawn shops. I gave up on it after a few weeks
Two days ago I got a call from a guy in the mid-west who bought my knife roll in NYC for 85$!!!!
He was a super nice guy and offered to ship it back to me, he wouldn't even accept my reward money.

So I'm trying to pass on some of the good Karma and give this stone to someone who I hope will love it as much as I do.

Here are the stats on the stone

This huge stone is from the Oochi mine. Not so common to see these stones around, although I think Jon from JKI had some at one point.
It is a pretty mellow, fuzzy feeling stone, if that makes sense.
This is one of the easiest finishing stones I've used for single beveled knives, though I would use something harder for the Ura if you had the option.
The stone weighs 1375g and is 208mm long
I bought this stone in Kyoto a couple years ago, it came from an old woodworking shop that went bankrupt

Full_Size_Render_3.jpg
Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

So here is how you get the stone

Guess my favorite Sushi Neta (thats the part on top of Nigiri, the "topping")
Just post the name of the item (could be fish, vegetable or whatever) as a comment. The first person to guess it right gets the stone!
Easy as that

this is open to anyone at all, vendors to newbies

Congrats on getting the knives back. What a great offer!

Ikura?

The really great thing is that someone was honest and cool enough to give his roll back. Kind of restores my confidence in humanity. Classy way to maintain your karma by the way.

The really great thing is that someone was honest and cool enough to give his roll back. Kind of restores my confidence in humanity. Classy way to maintain your karma by the way.

This is super awesome! Really glad you got your knife roll back and great giveaway.

My guess: tamago

Anago Edit: someone guessed eel. Are you separating unagi/anago or does eel get to cover both? I think usually people think unagi when they say eel. If eel covers both I'll go with mirugai.

Did the guy at least take the $85 it cost him to buy your roll? That dude deserves a bunch of positive karma.

Back