• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Natural Stones Assortment

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Yet another move of houses (3 in 12 months for those keeping count!) leads me to need to let go of more stones. Less storage in the new place. I've also got knives up for sale in the other BST Shipping is free CONUS, international buyers pay shipping.

Stones Pictures Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q93mL2eDJK7OVs5JgXCscStmK-1PcgP2

Ohira Suminagashi Suita- $550--205mmx74x32- I bought this stone from Watanabe. Its medium hardness, if I recall it was HS51 or thereabouts. This suita is easily self-slurrying, works up a velvety mud quickly and is an excellent finisher and polisher. The suminagashi pattern is beautiful especially when its wet. There are some lines in this one, but they don't affect sharpening.

Ohira Renge Suita- $550--205x70x28?- Got this direct from Japan from a carpenter I met and bought a traditional carpenter box from. Having used it I can certainly see how it would be a good tool for woodworkers. Its harder and much finer than many ohira suita that I've used, which makes it a standout stone to me. Its yummily smooth and pleasant in use, not at all glassy or grabby like some harder stones can be. I used this as a final finisher and light-saber edges followed. Polishing takes some time, as you might expect, but leave a very nice mirror. I received it set into the dai base rather than resting on top so I cant tell you exactly how thick it really is, but its thicker than the minimum 28mm.

Red aka pin (mine unknown)- $350--200x80x40mm- No clue what mine this came from, but its an absolute blast to use. Easily the softest, muddiest, thirstiest stone I've used hands down. It takes a minute or two of feeding it water until it stops absorbing but once its done drinking its a beast. The mud is creamy and buttery and coats your blade so it feels like you're sharpening on a pillow. A great and absurdly easy stone for kasumi finishing. Mounted on a dai. (Please ignore the small scratches in the second photo, I received it like that and it has since been removed with lapping.)

Shinden Awasedo+Honyama Shiro Suita- $450--208x78x37mm//224x102x47- I've had these for a while, tried to sell them once or twice, but for whatever reason I haven't succeeded. I just moved houses and I'd like to have less stuff to store so I'm letting them go for a good chunk less than what I paid. The shinden awasedo is a great river-green old stock stone and does everything you want in that middle-finisher level. It can give kasumi finishes with a careful touch and leaves good refined edges with a tiny bit of tooth still left. The okudo suita is a bit of an oddball, ugly duckling stone. Its had a few crumblies now and again, though I think I lapped past most of them as far as I can tell. Its slurries quickly and develops a surprising amount of mud. Its not super fine and if I wanted a super-keen edge I would follow it up with something. Overall, it performs very well for the quality of stone it is and as a plus, its extremely useful for long knives because its huge! Asking much less than what I paid for both because I would like them out of my house, so its a good deal for two full-sized stones.

I have the twin to the Ohira suminigashi suita from Watanabe. Mine is a do everything type stone and at this price, it is a steal. I paid a bit more for mine and if I didn't already have one, I'd grab yours for sure. GLWS.

UPDATE: Only the two ohira suita stones remaining. I added some quick and imperfect polish photos for each stone in the picture link at the top of the page. I finished one side of the Gesshin Kochi gyuto I have up for sale with the suminagashi ohira and did the other side with the second ohira renge suita.

Alright, let's lower both the remaining ohira suita to $500 each. These are high quality stones selling for less than I paid, so I'm not really minded to go any lower than that. I might consider trades, but it would have to be something pretty special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back