Neck and Machi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
I am not a big fan of a machi gap, but I prefer the feel when the neck is raised to almost the level of the handle. Hence, I think the approach shigefusa and kato have taken in this regard is the best of both worlds. Why more makers do not take this approach? What other makers are there that have similar neck design, and preferably for a "fraction" of a cost....

My Damascus Kato gyuto had a machi gap, my kikuryu didn't, may have just been how the burn in went.

71F076EE-F2E0-483D-A3B7-846794C6EDAF_zpsftggv0n1.jpg

I do concur that I like the wider neck/emoto. I also find that I like a bit of length too, not just having the choil drop to the edge a few mm from the ferrule

Japanese are not too fond of change. Since they've been doing it that way a long time they see not need to hammer it in the whole way. I've heard back when they didn't use glue or epoxy if the handle came loose, the gap allowed for hammering further in.

Today they will tell you they leave the gap because it's easier to sharpen or for the same reason you like it.

However I feel it's an excuse for poor handle work and being afraid of cracking the horn.

I agree with you, if they want that much space make the machi further down.

My Mizuno has a machi which is flush with the handle.

The one I have is probably more expensive than a Shigefusa or Kato, but I think the standard gyuto is the same construction.

The Shigefusa I have flares sideways at the machi, it seems as though there's a shoulder all the way around, rather than just the top and bottom.

Are they all like this?

How's Mizuno overall? Good buy or asi asa? I really like the "flush".

How's Mizuno overall? Good buy or asi asa? I really like the "flush".

The Mizuno I have is the best knife I own. The handle install isn't quite perfect, but I didn't notice for a long time.

I should state that mine is a suminigashi, so I can't really comment on the standard gyuto but I think the grind should be the same.

It's easier to remove the handle when there is a machi right?

I don't see why it would make a difference.

My Damascus Kato gyuto had a machi gap, my kikuryu didn't, may have just been how the burn in went.

71F076EE-F2E0-483D-A3B7-846794C6EDAF_zpsftggv0n1.jpg

I do concur that I like the wider neck/emoto. I also find that I like a bit of length too, not just having the choil drop to the edge a few mm from the ferrule

Ikon the topic of katos, my KU workhorse nakiri doesn't appear to have the wide emoto (similar to Shig nakiris):
73FC6B5B-DB9D-414D-B7CC-DAED5B79B2F8_zpszb5pvmm2.jpg

I'm not familiar enough with shigfusa knives to know what you mean without further explanation. What approach do they take and how might it affect cost?

I am not a big fan of a machi gap, but I prefer the feel when the neck is raised to almost the level of the handle. Hence, I think the approach shigefusa and kato have taken in this regard is the best of both worlds. Why more makers do not take this approach? What other makers are there that have similar neck design, and preferably for a "fraction" of a cost....

I'm not familiar enough with shigfusa knives to know what you mean without further explanation. What approach do they take and how might it affect cost?

See the pic of the katos (not the nakiri) I posted above where the emoto is wider than the tang inside the handle, and is almost flush with the projection of the handle

Yeah I see that. Is that a shigfusa thing? I see that a lot and wouldn't have guessed it was specific to one maker.

See the pic of the katos (not the nakiri) I posted above where the emoto is wider than the tang inside the handle, and is almost flush with the projection of the handle

Back