Need a good 3000 / 4000 grit stone for erasing 1000 naniwa pro or 2000 bester scratches on wide bevel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all ! (and here is more a polisher topic)

I am polishing the bevels of my knives (double bevel, mild steel + C130) with synthetic stones from 320 grit to 3000 grit then I go Naturals with Natsuya and Mikawa, then finer naturals. One of my issues thoses days is that Natsuya (that I really like if 2000 scratches are erased) is not powerful enough to erase 2000 grit Bester scratches (which I like to use), so I need a synthetic 3000 or 4000 to erase them before going to Naturals.
For now, I tried : Naniwa pro 3000 (too soft, too sticky, but really fast erasing the scratches, it's just not a joy to use for me), Suehiro Cerax 3000 (fast enough to erase the scratches too but I get some bad scratches with it if the bevel is not perfect, feeling is so so with this stone), 4000 Bester (not fast enough), 4000 Morihei (not fast enough).
Do you have any advises ?

Have a good day/evening

Shapton Glass 3k or 4k? The 3k will load a little less than the 4k, not that the 4k is bad. Or the HC line. They're a little softer and polish a little finer than the HR line.

Ok, did not test shapton glass on those grits (only use 320 and 500). That could work, but if I can find cheaper/bigger stones, I think I would prefer, but yes they are one option

JNS Synthetic Red Aoto if muddy stones work for you.

Shapton glass high carbon 4000 can be great in the hard stone category. This high carbon line gives much better polish than the HR.

JNS Synthetic Red Aoto if muddy stones work for you.

Shapton glass high carbon 4000 can be great in the hard stone category. This high carbon line gives much better polish than the HR.
I forget about talking about JNS red Aoto : I tried it, and... maybe I don't know how to use it but it makes scratches, no kasumi, and doesn't erase 2000 grit bester scratches. So did not work for me.

Second mention about shapton glass, ok, maybe that should lead to a try! Thanks

I forget about talking about JNS red Aoto : I tried it, and... maybe I don't know how to use it but it makes scratches, no kasumi, and doesn't erase 2000 grit bester scratches. So did not work for me.

Second mention about shapton glass, ok, maybe that should lead to a try! Thanks

Really? My synthetic red aoto can remove 1k scratches from shapton pro. It removes 2k shapton pro scratches much faster though, like in a few strokes.

I haven't tried the HC 4k, but the HC 6k I have is amazing, removes 2k scratches with a bit effort, but the mirror on the core is better than glass 30000 HR.

I really need to give it a second chance to the Jns 3000, but for now it was not working as I wanted. It's a bit muddy but not that much, mine is not that a soft stone (it is in water for weeks or months).
And I may try HC shapton glass, thanks

Reactions: JDC
Sorry, but did you try those stones for polishing bevels? I am looking for some feedbacks more than the list of 3K / 4K stones available.
Can you tell me more about those sigma and hayabusa stones ?
I've used them for sharpening, not polishing bevels. Glass 4k I've used extensively.

Wasn't just throwing out names of random stones.

Good day.

I've used them for sharpening, not polishing bevels. Glass 4k I've used extensively.

Wasn't just throwing out names of random stones.

Good day.
Sorry again, but I try to get info as precise as I can on this because I have tested a bunch of stones now and would like some advise before spending more money. So I understand you tried the sigma 3k and Naniwa hayabusa 4K but was it for polishing bevels ? Could you give me more details on how they work ? How Hayabusa is different from Naniwa pro/chosera ? Never try sigma at all, can be a try but I would like a polisher point of view
Thanks for helping

Hayabusa maybe or even Rika.
Sigma 3k or Naniwa Hayabusa 4k?

I was thinking about those (I have both), but he said that Naniwa Professional 3000 was too soft. These are softer.
But reading more today, seems like there is a need for a stone to suit a particular technique, rather than how stones perform in general.

Hayabusa maybe or even Rika.

I was thinking about those (I have both), but he said that Naniwa Professional 3000 was too soft. These are softer.
But reading more today, seems like there is a need for a stone to suit a particular technique, rather than how stones perform in general.
Hi,
About Naniwa pro, softness is not what I like the less, I think mainly it is its stickyness. If I am not always moving putting very light pressure, adding water at the right moment, my blade is glued to it ! It works well when you succeed to make it work but I am looking for something easier to work with. I got no problem with muddy soft stone as soon as they don't stick too much, too quickly.
Hayabusa 4K I never heard of ? How does it compare ?
Rika ? 5000K ? I think I got this stone but did not use it for polishing.
Sigma 3K : how is it ? hard/soft ? making kasumi/bright finish ?

How many stones do you want to use between 1k and naturals? I think it’s pretty safe to do 1k -> 2k -> 4K glass HC, it will give you more efficiency than jumping from 2k to 6k HC like I do. My goal was a mirrored core, and I don’t sharpen as frequently as you do, so 6k made more sense to me.

Hayabusa is rather similar to Naniwa Professional 3000, but softer. If you don't manage to get it going, it will load and stick for a while. Like I've said, it's more of a technique thing.
Sigma should be more forgiving, if properly soaked before using. Has a haze finish, not bright polish.
Rika also needs some soaking and will need some surface maintenance eventually, but should be OK. Gives a brighter finish (more like semi) in general.
JNS 6000 might be an option, but again, softer stone. Very homogeneous behaviour, though.

How many stones do you want to use between 1k and naturals? I think it’s pretty safe to do 1k -> 2k -> 4K glass HC, it will give you more efficiency than jumping from 2k to 6k HC like I do. My goal was a mirrored core, and I don’t sharpen as frequently as you do, so 6k made more sense to me.
Hello,
Natsuya is about 2000 grit. My goal is to do this progression : Naniwa pro 1000 or Bester 2000 --> 3000/4000 grit (to erase previous scratches) --> Natsuya

Hayabusa is rather similar to Naniwa Professional 3000, but softer. If you don't manage to get it going, it will load and stick for a while. Like I've said, it's more of a technique thing.
Sigma should be more forgiving, if properly soaked before using. Has a haze finish, not bright polish.
Rika also needs some soaking and will need some surface maintenance eventually, but should be OK. Gives a brighter finish (more like semi) in general.
JNS 6000 might be an option, but again, softer stone. Very homogeneous behaviour, though.
Thanks for all those info.
It's looking like Sigma 3000 could be a good stone in my case. I will test Rika 5000. JNS 6000 is good stone but it doesn't erase bester 2000 scratches (they might be bigger scratches than the name tell) quickly enough for me.

Sigma Select II 3k scratches are coarser deeper than Bester 2k scratches, in my informed opinion.

Last edited:
My current full progression is: dmt 220 -> dmt 325 -> shapton pro 1000 -> shapton pro 2000 -> shapton glass HC 6000 -> Ohira Uchigumori Hato (focus on cladding) -> Okudo Shiro Suita (focus on core)

An example finish:

IMG_4343.jpg

I haven't tried the HC 4k, but the HC 6k I have is amazing, removes 2k scratches with a bit effort, but the mirror on the core is better than glass 30000 HR.
Really !
A little off topic but I doubt that a 2.45 micron synth stone could give best mirroring result on core than a 0.49 micron one.
Very surprised by this but very interested because I was planning to buy a 30,000 thinking it could be the ultimate synth for mirroring core steel.

Sigma Select II 3k scratches are coarser deeper than Bester 2k scratches, in my informed opinion.

In this progression Naniwa 220 (thinning), Sigma S2 1000 and 3000 I got no scratches whatsoever, but a very homogeneous matte haze finish. Do you soak, add enough water and use slurry?

Last edited:
Back