Need a good hunting knife

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Grunt173, Feb 15, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Feb 15, 2019 #1

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

Any deer hunters out there? I need to replace an old Schrade hunting knife that I used to field dress White Tail deer. Actually,I am sort of glad that I have to replace it because I got tired of it slipping around in my hand when it got covered in blood and guts while field dressing my deer.I was looking at some of the Bark River knives but worry that the micarda scales might also become slippery while inside a deer,darn nice knife though and I think the V2 steel would be nice.I also considered the Benchmade in the fixed blade because it has the SV30 steel which is also nice.I have a few of their folders in that steel.Although I have folders,I don't care for the cleaning aspect of them after job is done,speaking of experience here cause for many years,I have used a Buck 110 hunter before the Schrade and the soft 440 steel.Got any ideas?

2. Feb 15, 2019 #2
    I was formally a Gerber guy for deer knives, some folders (same cleaning issues) and some fixed blades. Liked the "Gator" series, thought the Gator 2 sucked.

But then I found this place.

On the right is a Butch Harner, a sweet knife though just a little larger than I like when inside the deer. Butch is probably the best bet to be able to acquire a knife before next season. Tell him what you want to do with it or just ask for one like he uses.

In the middle is a Yoshikane I bought from Maxim when he was getting out of the Yoshi business. Sharp AF and easy to keep that way. Will hold an edge for two or three deer if you're hunting out of a camp. Not sure why Japanese hunting knives are so expensive relative to the kitchen products, if Maxim had not had a sweet deal on it I probably would have passed.

On the left is a Gesshin Hankotsu, great for skinning them out and cutting little circles as required.:cool:

And far left is a Satterlee bone saw that I use - and got in a trade on here,

Some day under "Show your newest....." I'll be posting a Bloodroot. But not today

Deer Knives.jpeg

Yoshi in deer.jpeg

3. Feb 15, 2019 #3

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

4. Feb 16, 2019 #4

Phip

Phip

Phip

Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about the micarta scales; anything slathered in blood will be slippery. I try to maintain a wet hand/dry hand approach to gutting a deer like I do with cooking, but it's much harder in the field. My solution is to include a hand towel in my kill kit. White or light colored, the towel is for drying my hands and also where my knife goes when I have to set it on the ground. No more worrying about where I put the dang thing. My Dozier is D2 steel and micarta scales. It'll do a couple of animals--gutting and skinning--before I need to resharpen. What I don't like about it is the Dozier is the finger guard/bolster? makes it impossible to maintain the heel and use it effectively. A knife that doesn't have that problem is the custom Heavin Forge utility/hunter on Epicurean Edge/Blade Gallery. Beautifully made knife by ABS mastersmiths in South Africa. I bought one after hunting season this year, so I haven't tested it in the field. But it looks like it should be fantastic. Let us know what you settle on.

5. Feb 16, 2019 #5

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Very interesting thread, I have gain interests in hunting recently, this will be a good start.

6. Feb 16, 2019 #6

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

This hunting knife hunting is playing with my mind.I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.They have me searching the web and wishing I had more money to spend because some of the offerings are way out of my reach but at the same time,I don't want to settle for junk.I have used plenty of them only to be disappointed.I tried to make a purchase on a Bark River Ultra-Lite 1 knife but found out they were out of stock and no idea when they will be available again.Seems like it would have been close to what I would like having a 3-1/2" drop blade with a blade thickness of 1/8" and A2 steel.
    Keepem comin boys.

7. Feb 16, 2019 #7

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

Good for you.Our Ohio has some pretty nice big deer.I like it when people take interest in hunting.I am an old coot now and have hunted all my life since 14 years old.Through the years,I have seen a big decline in hunting because the youths today would rather spend all their time on the phone or television then actually getting out and keeping our hunting tradition alive.It's a shame too cause there is more to life then just texting.

8. Feb 16, 2019 #8

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

I am from a family with no hunting experience, this is a pretty new to me. I do believe hunting makes us appreciate our meat more

9. Feb 16, 2019 #9
    I have skinned one little deer (helping my neighbor who is a hunter) and a puukko (Iisaki Aito) worked great for that. It has handle from birch bark, it is not slippery even when wet. My neighbor has a simple Eka hunter with 2 blades that rotate on a pivot. He likes it.

10. Feb 17, 2019 #10

AT5760

AT5760

AT5760

What’s your planned use? Field dressing? Do you need a gut hook? Are you looking mainly for a skinner? I don’t hunt anymore, but I grew up in a family of deer and small game hunters. Basically the only times they used hunting knives were to field dress and finish a wounded animal if necessary. Then the deer went to the barn where we’d skin and do rough butchery. The detail work took place in the kitchen with those knives.

11. Feb 17, 2019 #11

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

Yep,just field dressing because I can't do the all night thing of butchering in the cold barn no more.;),oh and I don't like a gut hook on a knife.

12. Feb 17, 2019 #12

AT5760

AT5760

AT5760

That’s fair. Gotta say, some of my best memories with my mom’s parents had to do with butchering and cooking fresh venison. If I were getting back into it, I’d look hard at a Benchmade with a fixed blade and gut hook. That would fit your specs and have a non-slip handle. Though I’m not that familiar with hunting/pocket knife steel, so not sure how’d you feel about S30V

13. Feb 17, 2019 #13

Anton

Anton

Anton

Doesn’t get the use it deserves but the few times I’ve used it is such a joy - the handle to bolster is perfection, fit and grip is amazing

Bill Burke in 52100 sharpens like a mother...

IMG_4514.jpg

Dave Martell and orangehero like this.
  14. Feb 17, 2019 #14

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

Very,very nice.I like that.

15. Feb 17, 2019 #15

Kgp

Kgp

Kgp

Supporting Member

I'm not a hunter, but Tony Laseur has some nice looking ones on his page. Here's a link:

https://www.laseurknives.com/outdoor-knives

Ken

16. Feb 17, 2019 #16

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

17. Feb 17, 2019 #17

Kgp

Kgp

Kgp

Supporting Member

Congratulations!
    Since you missed mine last month I won't feel guilty if I don't send you something but don't give up hope. You never know... upload_2019-2-17_17-0-16.gif

18. Feb 18, 2019 #18

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

Lol,oh man,that is so funny.I love it. Thanks for the laugh.

19. Feb 18, 2019 #19

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

I'm not a hunter, so I've not skinned anything with it, but I really like my Bradford Guardian 4 in m390. Very ergonomic. 20190217_200616.jpeg

20. Feb 18, 2019 #20

Moooza

Moooza

Moooza

Phil Wilson original is a great knife.

21. Feb 19, 2019 #21

CTKC

CTKC

CTKC

I don’t think you could do much better than a Dozier in terms of edge holding and value, and there are so many good hunters and skinners that you should be able to find one to your personal liking. The wait at the Dozier shop is quite long but the “featured inventory” page is updated fairly often with knives that can be bought immediately and AG Russel also usually has some in stock. There are several right now on BladeGallery that were made by Bob back when he was making them all.

If you have a little more to spend, I would also vote for a Burke in 52100 or, if you can convince him to make it, a Dunkerley in 52100. Rick has become best known for his fancy folders, but he was a hunting guide for years and knows exactly how to build a perfect hunting blade. Just my two cents Good luck with the chase- it’s half the fun!

22. Feb 19, 2019 #22

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

I'll second Bob Dozier. He has made a wide variety of hunting knife patterns over the years, some worked better than others for me, but that involves a lot of personal taste I guess. I have a folder and two sheath knives of his I consider near perfect for deer. All three have several deer to their credit.

23. Feb 21, 2019 #23

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

I’m a hunter. And I love field knives. My love for field knives eclipses anything I feel about kitchen cutlery.

I picked up a Gough Resolute as my go to blade. The thing is delightful. But anything works.

Attached Files:

24. Feb 21, 2019 #24

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

That looks to pertty
    To get dirty.
    Nice looking knife.I see he doesn't have them in stock now but no matter.I don't want to go that high on price.Wish I could though.

25. Feb 21, 2019 #25

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

Honestly, I’m saving the Resolute for an elk.

I used this a few weeks ago. It worked well, but was a chore to sanitize.

Attached Files:

26. Feb 21, 2019 #26

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

Yep,know what you mean.I tried a few folders while dressing deer but often times when I got done,I had to just toss the knife into the bag when done because I couldn't close it back up.Then if the deer parts dried inside,man,it was a chore.I've been using an old Schrade with a 3-1/2" blade for years but this pass season,I darn near cut my hand off when it slipped because of the blood.It has a skinny handle and slippery rubber doctor gloves didn't help either.Now I am looking for something with more control and old man compatible.

boomchakabowwow likes this.
  27. Feb 21, 2019 #27

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

Yea. I agree.

My last four deer, you know what knife I used? A humble Mora Companion in carbon steel. I did cut myself once. The win for me is that ridiculous sheath. But it’s so easy to clean with a wad of paper towel and a chop stick.

The handle is fairly awesome.

28. Feb 21, 2019 #28
    Life is too short for folders in the deer woods.

29. Feb 22, 2019 #29

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

Gjackson98

What are some characteristics to define a good hunting knife other from kitchen knives?

30. Feb 22, 2019 #30

Grunt173

Grunt173

Grunt173

Life is too short ,period.

Noodle Soup likes this.