Need a line knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shnaw

Reaction score
I need a line knife replacement pretty badly. I was wondering if anyone had some experience with a suitable knife. Cladded or stainless, compact(santoku probably), tough... Basically able to take some abuse that comes with a busy Friday/Saturday service.

I've been using my yoshihiro skd nakiri lately.
If I needed something with a tip I'd rock a gesshin 210 petty/suji.
Both are stainless and compact enough to keep on the line.
Good luck on the search!

I was going to push for the nakiri/usuba, but for line work, general purpose like the petty or santoku would be more practical. doesn't appear like you got alot of time one your hands so I would recommend sur la table, they have a great return policy and can get your knife to you in a few days.

Their Miyabi line is good, the MC series has very good edge retention and the vg-10's are also are good. Also PM Jon (JKI) to see his rec. on Gesshin line and how fast he can get one to you.

Welcome, Shnaw!

What station are you working? What would you be cutting? Protein w/o bones, protein with bones (like lamb rack), or just veg.

~Tad

I'd get a 210 petty. I got one a while ago and it pretty much replaced one of my gyutos, I only take 1 to work now rather than 2

I just ordered a Gesshin Ginga 210 suji for that purpose.. The other option that was suggested was the Suien VC 210 Gyuto.. Its carbon tho if I'm not mistaken.

I have two line knives a santoku- misono 7" and a gesshin ginga 210mm petty. I would suggest the gesshin overall though, its very light and thin so it stays out of the way but is long enough to slice or chop. It also had pretty decent edge retention. Also if you need a knife quick jon at jki has great service recieved mine the next day! Also for the price you can't beat it imo.

I have been a fan of old hickory knives for a long time...when I was cooking on the line that is what I used. Its not fancy, and they don't look cool, but they cut like a champ for hours on end, it's a take a licking and keep on ticking type of knife...the steel is a carbon 1095 and you can get a 7, 10, or 14 inch. All for under 15 bucks. It's the Chinese cleaver of American knives. (I will probably take alot of crap for saying this, but I really love these knives.)

Funny you should mention Old Hickory. I like all kinds of kitchen cutlery and last month I picked up 3 NOS Old Hickorys.

Awesome guys, thanks for the help! And to tweyland, pretty much every station from GM to proteins so definitely in need of an all rounder. The 210 gesshin ginga sounds like a good option but I hadn't even considered yoshihiro... and god do I ever love SKD-11! Well now i'm down to two to decide between so thanks again for the help!

There's a questionnaire that will help us figure out your needs, it might help to fill that out.

Depending on many things(especially your budget and target foods), you could get a Tojiro DP, a Murray Carter Funayuki, etc etc. The options are almost endless.

+1 on the Carter Funayuki... very easy to sharpen, very good edge retention (if sharpened properly), carbon edge not very reactive.... overall very nice knife... 6.5 sun would be perfect...

210 pettys are great and I find them way more versatile than a 210 gyuto. They are super thin so are good for delicate slicing tasks and are long enough to slice many different things. They are also small enough that they are as precise as a petty, but again are more versatile because they are bigger. I use mine just as much as my gyuto

I think as a prep knife, a gyuto is the way to go...240 or bigger, but as a line knife, you are usually working in a tight space, so size is usually crucial, and usually slicing is the the only action used during service; so as a dedicated "line knife", (slicing proteins, cheeses, veg, sandwiches, etc....) 210 suji just makes sense.

I think in another thread some of us may have convinced DT to make and dub a 210 suji as a dedicated "line knife"...could be cool...

I always thought that a 210 suji/petty would be the most used knife, and probably the case for a line knife. For me, if I am not using a guyto for a specific task of prepping, my 150 petty is the most used knife. I only wished it was longer. So i went out and got a Hiromoto G3 stainless suji. I would love to get the 210 HD or the others that were mentioned, but I wanted a western/yo handle.

Yo, what about an Aritsugu A 210mm suji then?

I just ordered a 210mm Gesshin Ginga suji-petty for this purpose. Got to the point I couldn't handle having a big ass 270 gyuto on the line anymore (too many dishwashers setting things on it when I call for product), needed something I can tuck away behind my board, out of harm's way.

I just ordered a 210mm Gesshin Ginga suji-petty for this purpose. Got to the point I couldn't handle having a big ass 270 gyuto on the line anymore (too many dishwashers setting things on it when I call for product), needed something I can tuck away behind my board, out of harm's way.

Same decision I made!!

I'm glad to see all the love for 210 pettys lately...I thought that spaceconvoy and I used to be the ones who saw value in them.

But after using my 210 Suisin regularly for six months, I'm really starting to think that a 240 suji with the perfect profile and yo-handle(can't believe I prefer a yo) would suit me better as my main knife at home--Gesshin Ginga I've been looking at you.

Back