Need A New Microplane. Any Favorites?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both the long one and the short one with those teeth (second-finest). The long one is the one I reach for most often.

We have enjoyed this one for small volumes:

41YxoPLsRJL._AC_.jpg

For larger volumes we use a box grater or mandolin (depending on how you want to 'shave' the produce). With the little microplane-box... I like how the outside container catches all the shavings... You can use it to store what you shave in the fridge (e.g. parmesan). The obvious disadvantage is the relatively small shaving stroke...

I've tried oxo's, Mercer, other assorted brands that weren't astronomical in price. Microplane hands down wins in my experience.
This. I saved a few dollars and tried another brand (can't remember its name). It was a disaster. The blades were raised too high, which made it almost impossibly difficult and dangerous to use. Terrible feeling. Microplane is head and shoulders above the others.

tried other brands and came back to Microplane (the first original was killed by someone using it on stuff it was not made for....kids....)

Currently have two of the wider ones, fine and medium guess they are the 45004 and DA410 (weird difference in article codes)

tried other brands and came back to Microplane (the first original was killed by someone using it on stuff it was not made for....kids....)

Currently have two of the wider ones, fine and medium guess they are the 45004 and DA410 (weird difference in article codes)

Do you have a preference between them for things like zesting, garlic, ginger, etc.?

EDIT: Fine and Medium I mean.

Last edited:
Is the question whether to get a Microplane vs. some other brand? (yes, buy a Microplane)

Or is it which one to get? (zester will zest and do hard cheese. so get one of those and maybe an extra coarse paddle style).

Edited my post to be more clear. I was asking if he had a preference between the fine and medium. :)

My favorite is the wider paddle style version with a stainless steel handle. I've had the black plastic handle snap off a Mircoplane in the past (it's scary when it happens) but feel supremely confident with the metal handled ones.

Do you have a preference between them for things like zesting, garlic, ginger, etc.?

EDIT: Fine and Medium I mean.
I really prefer the narrow one for zesting oranges... especially since it also has grating on its side. It's easier for doing these irregular-ish shaped things.
I think I have a coarse paddle style one that I use for stuff like parmiggiano; it's plenty fine for that.
I also have an extra coarse that I intended to use for stuff like carrots and coarses cheese but I don't really recommend that one. It doesn't really work that great IMO; it kinda lacks the depth to do proper grating and squishes the product too much.

for stuff like ginger or a shallot, I use the medium, for garlic the fine, Parmiggiano either one but usually the medium. Nutmeg on the fine.
Zesting on the fine one, I have never wanted the long version but that may be very personal
Fingers are safer on the fine, don't ask how I know...

Thanks everyone for the great inputs. I knew KKF would have good insight into what many others wouldn't give any thought to (like my wife when she bought this same cheap one again). :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Here are mine.
I replaced the two plastic handled ones for one without a handle.
It has more surface area and takes up less space.
View attachment 187406
https://www.microplane.com/classic-series-zesterDon’t get the paddle style with a plastic frame!
Mine’s cracked in 3-4 places we’ll before the blades will wear out.
View attachment 187407
I’m getting rid of plastic on kitchen tools.
Microplane have a nicer line with wood handles, which I'd get if I wanted a handle...
https://www.microplane.com/Kitchen-graters-master-series
How do you use the handleless version without zesting your own fingertips?

I’d say you can’t only have one:

43945433ze.jpeg

And don’t buy one with plastic frame. It will break, sooner than later! Mine has a few cracks…

I bought my first Microplane in 2005 in NYC, it is the lower one in the pic. I didn’t know what I was buying but, boy, I was impressed. Haven’t bought anything else since then. The walnut handled ones were on sale a few years ago in a local store, -50% or so. I didn’t need all of them but couldn’t resist.

Which ones do I recommend? Left, right, middle in order of priority.

Taking them out for this pic was a great opportunity to oil the handles!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back