Need a suji?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
I had a misono ux10 240mm and loved it. I sold it because I needed the money at the time.

I'm looking to replace it but can decide on a size. I want to use it for skinning and slicing fish, veggies, a line knife, and anything else as a filler.

Part of me thinks a 210 would do fine but not sure.

Looking at heiji, konosuke, or Suisin

Couple threads in the not-too-distant past on the same subject. Preferences range from 210 to 330. It all depends on what you will be cutting with it, and how big your work space is. The pros who have limited work area seem to like 210-240. Those with more space + many home users are usually in the 240-300 range. Mine is a 300, and I love the size for things like rib roasts, pork shoulders and hams. But for chicken and turkey breasts, etc. I use one of my 240 gyutos or a ~200 german slicer. Dang, I guess I really need to think about adding a suji in the 210 range... :O

Should we let Pierre know to expect a call?

Couple threads in the not-too-distant past on the same subject. Preferences range from 210 to 330. It all depends on what you will be cutting with it, and how big your work space is. The pros who have limited work area seem to like 210-240. Those with more space + many home users are usually in the 240-300 range. Mine is a 300, and I love the size for things like rib roasts, pork shoulders and hams. But for chicken and turkey breasts, etc. I use one of my 240 gyutos or a ~200 german slicer. Dang, I guess I really need to think about adding a suji in the 210 range... :O

I had a misono ux10 240mm and loved it. I sold it because I needed the money at the time.

I'm looking to replace it but can decide on a size. I want to use it for skinning and slicing fish, veggies, a line knife, and anything else as a filler.

Part of me thinks a 210 would do fine but not sure.

Looking at heiji, konosuke, or Suisin

Sounds to me like you would want some flex in your suji. Heiji is generally quite a bit thicker at the spine than konosuke or suisin.

I'd recommend a 240...I use one for exactly what you are looking for, and they make the perfect line knife.

I also HIGHLY recommend the Ikkanshi Tadatsuna INOX. Or if ou are looking for something a little cheaper, the konosuke is a great option, I have the 270 suji.

I've recently picked up a 240 suisin IH from Jon and forced myself to use it as my all rounder. I found that the grip and use of the suji for all round work feels very natural and really love it when knuckle clearance isn't an issue. The steel holds a fantastic edge. Best edge retention of any knife I've used as of yet and the handle feels just right. It's actually a tad bigger than the handle on my kono hd gyuto.

I have a variety of 210 sujis. I have to say that for fish, I almost always want something longer for slicing. I wouldn't go below 240 for all around work unless you really had a tight space or just didn't feel comfortable with the length. I'd go with something thinner, as well but not necessarily a laser. :)

Ya I think il stick with a 240mm.

kono has a nice price. Had an HD and like it.

Need something with some flex but not too much. But also sturdy

I'd recommend a 240...I use one for exactly what you are looking for, and they make the perfect line knife.

I also HIGHLY recommend the Ikkanshi Tadatsuna INOX. Or if ou are looking for something a little cheaper, the konosuke is a great option, I have the 270 suji.

who sells them btw?

Takeshi over at aframes sells them. Really awesome guy, and I try to support him as much as possible.

The reason I like the IT so much more over the kono is that it has the perfect amount of flex...just enough to help out with skinning fish and whatnot, but not so much that it interferes with veg prep. It may just be the fact that its a 270, but my kono has a little more flex than i like

Back