Need advice on a new stone

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by Cesar, Mar 11, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Mar 11, 2019 #1

Cesar

Cesar

Cesar

Hi guys.

One year ago I began mi stone set whit two choseras the 800 and the 3k, and now i want to buy a finishing one. I think the arashiyama 6k would be a great choice, but I want an expert opinion before I buy it, so will be nice if you guys help me to choose. Splash and go is a must for me.

2. Mar 11, 2019 #2

McMan

McMan

McMan

I've got one. Classic for a reason--good stone, good value, decent feedback. I have a feeling most people have either used one or still have one. Works for me--I haven't found the need to get anything better--though I'll be interested to hear what other options people chime in with...

3. Mar 11, 2019 #3

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

Staff Member Global Moderators

Which knives are you intending to sharpen with it?

never mind likes this.
  4. Mar 11, 2019 #4

galvaude

galvaude

galvaude

The Chosera 3000 is probably the nicest finishing synthetic ever.

Why do you want to finish at 6k ?

Benuser likes this.
  5. Mar 11, 2019 #5

Cesar

Cesar

Cesar

Right now i hace a Tanaka blue 2 gyuto to sharpen plus one inexpensive stainless knife (arcos brand, but i dont use it too muchas, just for heavy works), Im looking to buy a petty whit the Stone, but havent choose which one yet.
    I bought this Stones cause i read the choosera 3k can be use as some kind of finishing Stone, but the Edge you can get finally isnt the same as if you use a 5k or 6k Stone, thats why im thinking in a more fine Stone.

6. Mar 12, 2019 #6

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

Staff Member Global Moderators

A Chosera 3k (maybe equivalent to JIS 4k?) edge will be great on your Tanaka and far too fine for cheap stainless.

You COULD take the Tanaka to 6k pr even 8k but you would probably not notice any improvement in food (it may be a little better at shaving hair or push cutting paper) and you will have more opportunities to introduce variations in your sharpening angle which can ruin your edge.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. Mar 12, 2019 #7

Benuser

Benuser

Benuser

Supporting Member

I use the Naniwa Junpaku Snow-white 8k on carbons. Got it very cheap. It made a lot of sense after the Chosera 2k — and I had bad experience with the 5k.
    But not after the 3k. Just for fun.
    With some stainless it can be helpful with deburring. There are other tricks though.
    It makes no sense at all will soft stainless with large carbides. Anything above 1k is counterproductive.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. Mar 12, 2019 #8

Foltest

Foltest

Foltest

Do you want a synth? Ohira suita would be nice

9. Mar 13, 2019 #9

Cesar

Cesar

Cesar

Thx for the info. Do you think it improve the Edge on another knives like vg 10 or d2 or its a waste?. Im looking for new knives in the future, but if u think i Will not get bettee edges for real use i can keep the money.

No idea on synth ones, Will check It and see, its Splash and go?

10. Mar 13, 2019 #10

Elliot

Elliot

Elliot

Supporting Member

Kitayama 8k is, by most accounts, one of the better finishing synthetics. JNS 6k is a standout from Maksim, as well.
    As for going above 3k, I think it's pretty much always a good idea for good knives. Wouldn't bother with VG 10, but I think adding one stone would be wise.

Another option to consider, if I may, would be considering one of the more cost-effective naturals. I can highly recommend the Hideriyama from JKI. Jon has it roughly in the 8-10k range, even though calling out grits on naturals is tricky at best. Sure, more than some of the synthetics that have been listed above, but certainly not the investment getting really into natural stones is.

Good luck.

Oh, btw, those are the exact same two Chosera I started on. And despite adding a TON of stones since, I use them both regularly. You made very smart first choices.

11. Mar 13, 2019 #11

adam92

adam92

adam92

natural stone work well with carbon but take longer than sythetic stone, for gyuto, stay in 3k stone as finishing is fine, no point go up to 8k, unless single bevel knife , i only use the 8k stone with my yanagiba, for gyuto ,1-3k give you nicr toothy edge which is good for food .

i have naniwa junpaku 8000 and arashiyama 6000, they work well , junpaku is real polishing stone.

12. Mar 13, 2019 #12
    I would second that some (does not have to be Ohira) nice medium hard suita would bring you a different experience than getting a finer stone and the step from a 3k stone to a suita would work perfectly. Of course - funds a a question here, you are not going to find a nice (even if not super famous like Ohira) Suita for $100. But it is worth the consideration.

13. Mar 17, 2019 at 2:34 PM #13

psfred

psfred

psfred

The Arashiyama 6k is a nice stone, I use it for razors too. However, you don't need it for cooking knives except for something like a yanagiba for sushi or for thin slices of raw salmon. Most food cuts better with a slightly "toothy" edge, not a highly polished razor like edge.

I get the best results on my knives with a 1200 Bester, synthetic aoto, Arashiyama or King 6k, and a couple quick strops on wood loaded with chromium oxide. Your results may differ, of course.

You don't need fancy, expensive stones to keep your knives sharp, and if speed of sharpening is an issue for you, stick with synthetics. Naturals are almost always slower.

14. Mar 17, 2019 at 2:38 PM #14

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Arashiyama or rika would be fine. If you go arashiyama make sure to work up a lot of mud.