Need advise to find AS gyuto with kurouchi finish

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Mathias Z., Dec 14, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 14, 2019 #1

Mathias Z.

Mathias Z.

Mathias Z.

Hi there,
    I am searching the web and shops for a nice AS guyto. I considered Anryu AS KU, Takayuki Iwai KU, Kurosaki AS KU, Hiroshi Kato KU, Sasanoah Takeda NAS, Buho Murata, Mitsuni Hinoura, ...

anything i missed? Want the gyuto to be in the 215 to 270 range. Somebody also advised me to have a look as the V1 steel Masashi uses in his Kobo series. what do you think? any recommendations?

2. Dec 15, 2019 #2

Oui Chef

Oui Chef

Oui Chef

I've never used one but I know someones about to say TF denka

lemeneid likes this.
  3. Dec 15, 2019 #3

Runner_up

Runner_up

Runner_up

Murata does not use AS - only blue #1. I like my takeda, but it is a very unique knife and not excellent for everything.

I don't think they're super popular here but moritaka is worth a hard look. Super hard AS steel, kurouchi finish, well priced. I love mine. If you do some research you will read some negative things but I think those are really over blown.

If money isn't an issue, TF for sure.

4. Dec 15, 2019 #4

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

ma_sha1

I love my Kurosaki AS KU Fujin! I had his plain KU as well but switched to Fujin. His KU is dark, even & strong, won’t come off.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Brian Weekley likes this.
  5. Dec 15, 2019 #5

Brian Weekley

Brian Weekley

Brian Weekley

Supporting Member

Ditto the Kurosaki AS Fujin. Not too pricey. Excellent performer. I find the finish very attractive though others may have a different opinion. Good choice if it’s going to be your one and only otherwise I find the Takeda Sasanoha (I have thanAS version ... see the naughty school boy thread) to be a great knife if you have a workhorse Gyuto to back it up.

6. Dec 15, 2019 #6

leminh247

leminh247

leminh247

Supporting Member

I owned both Syousin Chiku Kurochi and Denka gyuto. I would recommend the Kurosaki AS for its price and performance.

7. Dec 15, 2019 #7

F-Flash

F-Flash

F-Flash

I think those kurosaki fujins and rajins looks awful. But the plain kurosaki kurouchi looks nice.

leminh247 likes this.
  8. Dec 15, 2019 #8

drsmp

drsmp

drsmp

Supporting Member

Another vote for the Kurosaki Fujin AS - one of my favorites. The Kurosaki Hammered AS from Knives and Stones is a close second (called Syousin Chiku on his website). James will also upgrade to a nicer handle for a very reasonable charge.

9. Dec 15, 2019 #9

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

Corradobrit1

TFTFTFTFTF DenkaDenkaDenka

10. Dec 15, 2019 #10

danemonji

danemonji

danemonji

Mutsumi hinoura makes very good kurouchi AS gyutos with a cool pointy design. It has one of the best edge retention out of all my knives it never chips and i don't need to sharpen it so often. It sharpens very easy too. But like many kurouchi knives it's more robust than the usual lasers so it will wedge a little on thick rooty vegetables.

11. Dec 15, 2019 #11

MarkC

MarkC

MarkC

I can't agree more on this take. I love my Mutsumi and it is an excellent cutter. I don't find that I have the wedging issue you described and am shocked how well the knife holds its edge. At the end of each shift, I check it and so far mostly just strop it some. I finally took it to my stones since I was cleaning up some other knives. Just a couple of strokes and I had a burr. I stopped at a 3000 grit stone because it fit what I am using it for. I am sure if you take it on up you could get it razor sharp.

Draft saved Draft deleted