Need guidance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaM0w

Always follow your nose
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking to build a water tub w/ a stone bridge setup for my sharpening process. Looking for advice on how to construct one properly. I need the bridge to be able to be able to hold stones with attached bases (Chosera 1k, King 8k) as well as a conventional stone holder. thank you!

I use a Vollrath stainless hotel pan with a bridge made from two lengths of 2x4 screwed together, the shorter length sanded to a tight friction fit, the longer length flush with the outer lip of the pan. A damp washcloth on the bridge keeps any stone from sliding around, base or not. Hope this helps!

Don't overthink it.

I put this together as a temporary solution about 6 years ago.

It's a piece of scrap wood and a cake pan with some non slip mat to keep things from moving.

Someday I might do something more pretty but I doubt it.

IMG_20190926_071009.jpg

Don't overthink it.

I put this together as a temporary solution about 6 years ago.

It's a piece of scrap wood and a cake pan with some non slip mat to keep things from moving.

Someday I might do something more pretty but I doubt it.

View attachment 64337
i just ordered a 4In deep hotel pan, should do the trick:)

I've been using both a half and full size hotel pan for the last few years pretty happily. I'm finally getting around to replacing the 2x4 that's been the bridge across it with something nicer.

Hello all,

I am looking to build a water tub w/ a stone bridge setup for my sharpening process. Looking for advice on how to construct one properly. I need the bridge to be able to be able to hold stones with attached bases (Chosera 1k, King 8k) as well as a conventional stone holder. thank you!

i have this silicone thing. https://www.cleancut.se/butik/knivslipning/slipstenshallare/underlag-för-slipning-detail its some kind of oven baking thing. and i'm sure you can get one just like this locally.
lekue_close_3.jpg

If you can't hit the Cleancut shipping minimum (not sure what theirs is for international) what Inferno posted looks like what we in the USA would call a Swiss Roll Mold https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Silicone-Cookies-L-12inch-W-11inch/dp/B071CDRBFD
For super thirsty stones like coarse synthetics it might be too shallow but for splash and go or most JNATs it seems like it should work. I'm very tempted to buy one to try.

Back