Need help /advice with new Matsubara

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maniahk

Reaction score
hi guys, picked up this beautiful matsubara b2 bunka today.. Realising it does not rock smoothly!
So I realised it has a slight recurve from heel to about centre of knife, and another from centre to about where it starts to curve upwards..
Or does it have 2 straight edges at a slight angle?
I placed the knive on the chopping board and when I tried to rock it by lifting the handle, I could feel that it wasn't smooth like all my other knives. Almost like there were 2 'steps'.. I tried to take 2 shots at the 2 'steps' with a light behind
Would this affect the usage or should I immediately try to smoothen it out? My lowest grit stone is 1000 and I'm kinda scared I'll further damage the edge profile..
Its a nice looking knife and the feel is great, feels sturdy and heavier than 155g even though that's what it weighs.. Spine is smoothly rounded too, just this edge issue

Attachments

• IMG_20210126_201636.jpg
    IMG_20210126_201636.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20210126_201604.jpg
    IMG_20210126_201604.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20210127_020239.jpg
    IMG_20210127_020239.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20210127_020057.jpg
    IMG_20210127_020057.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 55
Bunkas, like santokus are generally pretty flat by design. The back half flat spot sounds normal. Is your issue that the profile is not more rounded, or that there is a second "flat" spot?

I'm not sure what's actually the issue or if this is normal.. Should I expect the curvature to start from the end of first flat spot? Or should the flat extend to where the 2nd part ends?

So your knife is rather flat in the back half and has some curvature in the front. Is the transition between the two not fluent enough?
What knives do you have and normally use?
It looks alright but hard to tell. If you want to rock it, you might need to change your style a bit and get a better timed forward motion in your cutting while rocking when you get to the transition point. This way it won't meet a flat spot as hard and you have a smoother rock cutting.

I don't plan to rock with this.. But kinda expected a smooth lift from heel to tip on the board.. I think JayS20 is right that I'm feeling the transition from back to front is not smooth.. It doesn't seem to be a common compliant about new knives, so I guess the question really is should I fix it or ignore it? Haha

The portion you are concerned about seems like the transition to the (slight) curve towards the tip. It's probably not as smooth as it can be. I think it's a minor fix with the right grit.

so i slept on it for a night and went to work this morning.. then i realised i kept thinking about this minor, albeit important flaw on the knife.. when i got home my wife also said she felt smth different when using the knife even tho she liked it still.. so i decided to grind out the high point in the middle of the edge and it feels perfect now! haha.. took me quite a while tho, coz i ended up damaging the lacquer on the primary bevel with masking tape, so i decided to use alchohol swabs, and subsequently tidied up with baking soda.. will update on the knife in another thread soon!

Latest posts

Back