Need help on pety knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cesar

Reaction score
Hi guys.

One year ago I request help in a search for mi first japanese knife, and finally I decide to buy a http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanaka-blue-2-nashiji-gyuto-240mm-stainless-clad/. Im more than happy whit this knife and im now in the search of a petty to continue to improve mi knife bag, so im glad if you guys could help me again, the advices you give me before was of great help and I hope this new knife serve me as well as last one is doing. I want this one to be near me on the table to just cut thing i need to end the dishes in the las minute, not for the misen place, so it can be used to cut a lot of things like bread, boneless meat or whatever I need in a hurry time. Im very happy on the tanaka blue 2 and clad, but will be nice to try another steel just to see how it does, not mandatory though. Thx in advance.

Spain

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Petty
Are you right or left handed?
Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Can use both, but prefer Japanese.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
150 to 180 mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
200 eur, better if is less of course.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Professional
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Just to end some dishes in the last minute, cut boneless meat, bread, fruit and a long etc, but nothing that require an abuse on the edge.
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Dont have and specific one for this task
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push and rock
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Edge retention and easy to sharpen
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Carbon whit stainless clad work good to me, but open to more things. Handle can´t be wood or something not bactery proof. Love a nice look, but first is funcionallity.
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Good handle is a must.
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

This really depends on work, but I need to have a sharp knife so Im up to sharp it all days.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Synthetic
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I want to try something difertent from mi "main" knife and i was thinking in a laser petty whit different steel that has atleast 63 hrc ( want a lasting edge) and not very hard to sharp ( I can take a decent edge on gyuto in around 5 mins, is a blue 2 one), but you are the experts and im up to any ideas. Thx in advance for the help.

Back