Need help picking a gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookTO

Reaction score
I’ve always been very into Japanese knives, my personal favourites being gyutos, pettys and cleavers.

Sadly I was never able to afford a Japanese knife and I have been working with my 8in Victorinox chef knife for about 5ish years. Never had something different and couldn’t afford a new knife with my cook’s low salary.

I own a very old petty Shun that was given to me after years of being used by another chef and received 2 global knives from my moms as a gift (tourné & pairing).

I want to get my first gyuto but I feel like navigating as a blind man in a sea of knives so I’d like help :)

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Left

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
No preference, i like both

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
200-210 but open to other length

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
I think so?

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
300-350CAD

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Strictly professional environment

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Veg prep, mincing veg, slicing meat, fish butchery

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Replacing a victorinox 8in chef knife
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
No
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Depends on the job. Will almost use all of them
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Very sharp for a long time

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
No preference
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
No preference
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Once again no preference

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Long

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood and synthetic and rubber
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Beginner but I try
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Of course
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
100%

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I have access to Tosho and Knife in my city so if anybody has recommendations let me know :)

Last edited:
Should edit…I wouldn’t necessarily know better as being somewhat new to Japanese knives. So “for the price” implies I’ve found better performance for more money. Largely based on lack of want for better, that is certainly not true. So I’ll just say that it, to me, is a stellar line of knives. And talk to Jonathan at JKI…he’s so generous with his time and knowledge.

Depends on your budget. Here's what I usually recommend to my cooks for stainless in no particular order:
Kanehide PS60/TK (the tk is semi-stainless but I've never had an issue as you long as you dry it at the end of the shift)
Misono UX10/440
Mac Pro
Masahiro VG10
Tojiro DP

These are all tough, fairly easy to sharpen, utilitarian looking (so not high theft potential) and reasonably priced. I personally have used Kanehide TK 240s for about the past 5 years as my main beaters. For 300-350 you can get something nicer looking but you won't really be improving any on performance over any of these knives. Save your money for the next one or a stone or something.

Depends on your budget. Here's what I usually recommend to my cooks for stainless in no particular order:
Kanehide PS60/TK (the tk is semi-stainless but I've never had an issue as you long as you dry it at the end of the shift)
Misono UX10/440
Mac Pro
Masahiro VG10
Tojiro DP

These are all tough, fairly easy to sharpen, utilitarian looking (so not high theft potential) and reasonably priced. I personally have used Kanehide TK 240s for about the past 5 years as my main beaters. For 300-350 you can get something nicer looking but you won't really be improving any on performance over any of these knives. Save your money for the next one or a stone or something.
Thank you for your recommendations. I can go as high as 400-450CAD actually. Im going to check out Tosho tomorrow and see

Thank you for your recommendations. I can go as high as 400-450CAD actually. Im going to check out Tosho tomorrow and see

A 450$ knife will get dull just as quickly as any on my list in a pro environment. Just make sure you got a plan for maintenance and repair. I'm jealous. I'd love to be shopping at Tosho tomorrow.

Where abouts are you in canada? Theres a number of stores that i like going to depending on your location where you could handle the knives and see what feels good to you
Toronto!

A 450$ knife will get dull just as quickly as any on my list in a pro environment. Just make sure you got a plan for maintenance and repair. I'm jealous. I'd love to be shopping at Tosho tomorrow.
That's fair. I was hoping to chat with the guys at Tosho and go for their recommendations as well. Even though ive been almost 6 years in the kitchen ive never owned a Japanese chef knife and am completely oblivious with half the lingo and the different steel and the numbers and stuff (yes i am learning a lot from the guides on here) but im afraid of spending 300-450$ for something WAY out of my skillset or something i am not used to maintain.

I just got back from Tosho, what an incredible experience. I learned so much and the staff is so incredibly nice. I ended up leaving with a HITOHIRA FUTANA S3 NASHIJI GYUTO 240MM as well as a TADAFUSA NASHIJI BLUE #2 SUJIHIKI 240MM. If youre in Toronto i def recommend Tosho. They guided me through different knives, steels and sizes and made sure i made the right choice!

Futana S3 was my second Japanese knife! I'm sure you will enjoy it. It will feel so easy to sharpen if you're used to western knives and globals.

Back