Need help with bent Nakiri at handle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - had a WAT 180 Pro re-handled and in transit back to me it was bent at the transition from blade to handle. Is there someone folks here would recommend to doing the repair/re-bend plus the 2nd re-handle work (or should I just cut off the handle and try the bend myself since it is clad not monosteel)?

Thx

If it was bent with the handle on, it’s best to try to straighten it with the handle on.
Hoss

Place the blade flat on a sturdy table with your palm close to the handle, push handle to straighten, if that doesn’t work then turn it over.
Hoss

Thx Hoss - a small twist to the story was that the saya was installed tightly to the blade (prior to putting the saya on non-acidic paper was wrapped around the blade and created a very tight wedge). Saya was split (not horribly but did crack at the glue line top & bottom).

So I hear what you are saying but do you think I should install the saya for the re-bend attempt (I don't care about it & would protect the blade a little). Also would it change your approach if the (for reasons unknown) the blade was installed tilted (a bit) and the re-handle will likely need to be done again?

Thanks for the input.

TjA

Assuming the bend is the easy way (bent in the direction perpendicular to the blade face) you should be able to do it yourself. I did it to a Heiji recently, just like Hoss suggested, by just placing a towel down on the counter to protect the blade and counter, placing my hand on the top of the blade, and bearing down with significant force on the handle. Worked like a dream, though I had to push pretty hard.

Don’t think I’d use the saya for this. Seems less stable than just using your hand, especially if it is broken.

If there’s a bend, you can fix it like this regardless of whether the install is a bit tilted.

Thx Hoss/Ian - worked like a charm / used a hard plastic knife sleave & wood clamps at the edge of the table then just slow pressure down on the handle. Once I figured out the amount of pressure I would need to bend it back a little a few slow steps and it is straight. Tilt is there but that isn't going away with out removal/re-installation (which would more than likely mean a new handle so the hell with it .... irritating but c'est la vie).

Much appreciated.

I have snapped several blades at the tang to blade joint. Kinda scary.

Kinda decided after some googlefu that laminated blades are more doable plus just took it kinda slow and got a feel for level of effort to move 'very little' and just slow and steady after that ... several steps to get it right / checking in between but I certainly hear you ...

I trust Mr Thomas's direction implicitly but getting a feel for it made all the difference ... now if I only had your skills so I could get this out and make a new handle with saya!

I've seen Carter bend a blade using a notched board. I sure wouldn't want to do it, but then again, they hammer the heck out of them cold, so I don't understand what gives. Glad you got your blade back into shape. Unlucky i suppose. It's pretty rare that I get a package and wonder what the hell USPS was doing with it.

Back