Need Recommendation for Carbon Steel, Wa Handled, Petty Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The title says it all. Those are my only absolute requirements. Here is the survey:

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Petty/utility knife

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 150 mm or thereabouts. Could be longer.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $200 more or less.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home exclusively

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Slicing, chopping, mincing vegetables; slicing, trimming meats. There are, of course, more, but I can't think of them at the moment

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Western style utility knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Rock, slice, draw, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? No Damascus, black, or hammered finish.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Lighter knife; better handle shape; improved balance.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Ease of sharpening, better edge than stainless

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes. Always interested in gaining or improving skills

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

That about summarizes my interests. Thanks for reading and for any help you might offer.

It sounds like you want this knife to do a good bit of board work as well as trimming work. For me, a good petty on the board has some height at the heel (like 38mm or so). Munetoshi 165 is a classic affordable option here (though with a KU finish and rough finish) Mazaki 180 also. Both will be quite reactive.

S Tanaka blue 2 could work well if you can find one. I have his ginsan 150 petty and it sees lots of use in my kitchen. My wife uses it pretty much exclusively for small prep tasks and fine mincing.

Agree if you’re going to be chopping or other board work then you probably need some height.

There’s some video in this IG post of my favorite petty (Yoshimi Kato), which might be too low for you. It’s stainless clad aogami super. The dark core steel and ku separated by the white kasumi is really striking. Swipe left a couple times to see me using it to slice up some flank steak for stir fry.

I have been happy with my Hitohira Hinode (Mutsumi Hinoura) 150mm petty. It is tall enough for board work.

Konosuke Sumiiro petty 150 mm.

you will not regret it lol

Attachments

• BD9B25E6-AE50-46EA-A5CA-943EB5F34AF3.jpeg
    BD9B25E6-AE50-46EA-A5CA-943EB5F34AF3.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 8870CCDB-1880-4D2E-B076-C8F62FCF64EA.jpeg
    8870CCDB-1880-4D2E-B076-C8F62FCF64EA.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 26
  • 92A7D2DF-D244-41BA-9148-596459A4C42C.jpeg
    92A7D2DF-D244-41BA-9148-596459A4C42C.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 20
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $200 more or less.

My maximum budget for a new knife has changed. It is now $400. I must give credit where it is due and that goes to my wonderful wife. I had been telling her about the abundant virtues of Japanese knives that I was reading about, but she remained skeptical; I am pretty new to all this, so I have been buying books and learning all I can, and as I learned so did she but she remained skeptical--until I received my first Japanese knife and she sliced one tomato with my new gyuto. She knew that I had posted $200 as my maximum budget. She then suggested that I increase it to $400 and told me that she was sold on these amazing knives and that she would happily descend down the rabbit hole with me.

So far the Yoshimi Kato Blue Super Nashiji 150 mm is my first choice, but I have yet to look for anything within my new price range, so I need your recommendations once again. Thanks.

Last edited:
My maximum budget for a new knife has changed. It is now $400. I must give credit where it is due and that goes to my wonderful wife. I had been telling her about the abundant virtues of Japanese knives that I was reading about, but she remained skeptical; I am pretty new to all this, so I have been buying books and learning all I can, and as I learned so did she but she remained skeptical--until I received my first Japanese knife and she sliced one tomato with my new gyuto. She knew that I had posted $200 as my maximum budget. She then suggested that I increase it to $400 and told me that she was sold on these amazing knives and that she would happily descend down the rabbit hole with me.

So far the Yoshimi Kato Blue Super Nashiji 150 mm is my first choice, but I have yet to look for anything within my new price range, so I need your recommendations once again. Thanks.
Yoshimi kato is a great choice, you won’t regret.

That's a nice bump in budget, although for me I'd rather push those funds towards a future higher end gyuto purchase.

Anyway, Watanabe would be a great buy for the parameters you've laid out. His prices are going up soon so now is a good time if you'd like to try his work.

The Kono Sanjo petty that just went up on BST is semi-stainless not carbon but would be a great one and done petty option. WTS - Konosuke Sanjo SKD Kurouchi Nashiji Petty 180mm Burnt Chestnut Handle

Thanks to all who responded. The knives you suggested were great, but everywhere I looked they were out of stock. I am therefore inclined toward sticking with my original choice and pushing funds toward my next knife, which will inevitably cost more than a petty.

Shin will make you one. Email a inquiry, preferably for a 180 but 150 if you must and he'll respond with a price quote and delivery timeline. I've bought 4 this way and he's always nailed the delivery.

Watanabe stainless clad petty, 180mm, blue, vs tenderloin for mini tacos.

20210411_160240.jpg

20210411_175622.jpg

I think $150 - $250 is plenty to buy a very nice petty, at least as something that you can play with to decide what exactly you like. I’d personally be pretty happy with any of the ones below - these are all in stock.

If you intend to be chopping vegetables with a petty, you might want to look at taller models for knuckle clearance, or a short 180mm gyuto or bunka.

https://knivesandstones.us/collecti...saki-raijin-petty-150-mm-cobalt-special-steelhttps://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/wa-petty/products/jck-natures-blue-moon-series-wa-pettyhttps://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...ayaki-vg-10-series-kv-wp-petty-150mm-5-9-inchhttps://realsharpknife.com/collections/petty/products/nigara-hamono-sg2-150mm-kurouchi-pettyhttps://realsharpknife.com/collections/petty/products/kobayashi-sg2-150mm-petty-morado

Are you open to 180 gyuto's?

Not at the moment because I already have an Akifusa Migaki Aogami Super Carbon Steel 180 mm Gyuto. Since I am striving to assemble a beginning set of Japanese knives, I will not be getting any duplicate types until I have accomplished that. After that I have no doubt that will be seeking out desirable additions to what I hope will be a growing collection.

For meat you want less blade height, for chopping on boards you'd want more. But why would you want to chop with a petty in the first place...
Either way I don't think you can really optimize for both in the same knife.

Not at the moment because I already have an Akifusa Migaki Aogami Super Carbon Steel 180 mm Gyuto. Since I am striving to assemble a beginning set of Japanese knives, I will not be getting any duplicate types until I have accomplished that. After that I have no doubt that will be seeking out desirable additions to what I hope will be a growing collection.

Too funny because that is the exact knife I was going to suggest if you were open to it! 😁

Back