need recommendation on semi-stainless gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim huang

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently i am pretty interested in semi-stainless knives. Since I have toooooooooo much full carbon steel, I am looking for semi-stainless gyutos that doesn't require me to wipe the knife so frequently or try to get the patina.

For the gyuto....Laser type preferred but not necessary.

For the preference of the steels, I am having a big favor on HAP40, but definitely can change my mind to SKD; SLD; Chromax. Currently, i am looking at Konosuke YS Sanjo; Sumiiro (SLD); Gihei (HAP40). Not going to consider Sukenari HAP40 since the heat treat is too crazy for me (68????).

I need some advice from you guys, tell me how your semi-stainless knife perform!

Konosuke YS is a fantastic knife . As ling as your good with a shorter height knife I would highly recommend. I liked the height and profile, but some don’t. Of course, for a laser you could also go HD.

I have a Sukenari hap40 270 gyuto. Once you sharpen the factory edge, it does not chip. I have abused the **** out of that blade, even using it to cut partially frozen things (oh no) and mince pancetta the way you make tartare, though that did dull the blade enormously. I don't think I'd call it a laser, however.

edit: Also sliced smoked pork spareribs apart. Definitely hit the bone. No chips.

Last edited:
I am quite concerned about chipping my edge

The difference in toughness between 66 and 68 RC in HAP 40 is quite marginal. Differences in blade geometry are going to have a much larger effect on chippiness than that heat treatment difference. They could still be worth a try. I've heard the geometry is excellent.

Chromax is solid performer, used it as line knife on chill weekdays.

Currently only using my Konosuke YS to cut paper thin scallions, has the best cutting feel for this task so far because it’s very very thin behind the cutting edge. Liked others have said, it might be chippy if you cut on tougher ingredients/surface with this kind of edge geometry.
368E0BDC-70AB-4A3A-9C20-90DED1D2C392.png

If you worry about chipping, then +1 on the Konosuke HD2 and Kanehide TK.

My wife’s favorite knife is a Gihei (HAP40) santoku with a custom wa handle. Sharpened to 12.5 degrees and used like a beater. Chopping nuts, chocolate, and other hard items is no problem after getting rid of the factory edge. Its very thin, 1.5mm spine. Its treated like stainless and holds up fine. The edge discolors almost as much as blue #2 steel but it doesn’t rust in normal usage. It can be left unwiped for hours. Sharpening has never been hard with shapton stones and a diamond loaded strop.

I think Sukenari is the only maker doing midweight profiles. I think everyone else is using thin stock and generally stamping it. My Geihei is stamped, no distal taper. I wish more makers would use it. My wife doesn’t sharpen and knows nothing about steel but this is her favorite steel and she wants more!

Kono HD2 would be a good choice. I just picked up a Takada Ginsan and think it might fit your liking as well

Stay away from the Kono YS, Yoshi SKD, and Kono Sumiiro. I've had all three and while these are all awesome knives with great steel, the edge on all three approaches nail flexing and can/will chip if your are not careful.

Back