Need recommendations: Gyuto thinning

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chips

Reaction score
Hi all,

This seemed to be the best place to seek out suggestions or recommendations for who can thin my Mizuno Tanrenjo honyaki gyuto. I'm a lefty and I'd be looking for anyone who can help establish a thinner blade with a lefty bias if possible. Im just not too familiar with names of who does this sort of work.

Im in San Francisco FWIW, but will ship it out.

Thanks

Hi all,

This seemed to be the best place to seek out suggestions or recommendations for who can thin my Mizuno Tanrenjo honyaki gyuto. I'm a lefty and I'd be looking for anyone who can help establish a thinner blade with a lefty bias if possible. Im just not too familiar with names of who does this sort of work.

Im in San Francisco FWIW, but will ship it out.

Thanks
Maybe Bernal Cutlery? They're local to you.

Evan @ strataportland wasn't accepting major jobs last I checked, but I'd still send him an email.

If you trust any members enough, I'm sure there might be some who would be up to thinning it. Although you're probably going to want repolish, too. The degree of mirror polish being up to you. I'm imagining around $100+, since it's thinning honyaki, though I've never sent one in to be thinned. Forty Ounce is legit, he's on the forum here, too.

I'd recommend Shihan or HSC III, since they are knife makers with good grinds. Shihan is a lefty, so yeah, I bet he could make a lefty bias. I know he has the giant vertical water wheels, which I think no one else in North America has except for Carter. There always might be others I don't know though.

Latest posts

Back