Quantcast

Need your input....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
What do you make of this whole knifemaker/vendor mess going on?

I'd love for you guys to weigh in on this.

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
i say take it easy on the guys... the whole idea is in the spirit of the thing. If we act like crazy people and regulate every last thing, the feeling here will not be so great. With the whole darkhoek thing, i'm not sure how it all went down, but i dont think there needed to be a ban in all likelihood... just send a PM and ask him not to say specific things if you have problems with them (send examples from previous posts). You can always just delete things as well. But, its not my forum... your call at the end of the day. I would just delete stuff that didnt make sense to me (and let the people know why i deleted it).

Marko Tsourkan

Reaction score
Banning is a bit harsh, as it makes some people uncomfortable coming back. Deleting content as well as issuing warning might be a less harsh way of dealing with it, and use a ban as the last resort. But at the same time, rules are important and you got to set a good foundation, before it is too late.

I will add that I am impressed how you handle the drama. A breeze of fresh air, compared to KF.

M

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Banning is a bit harsh, as it makes some people uncomfortable coming back. Deleting content as well as issuing warning might be a less harsh way of dealing with it, and use a ban as the last resort.

But I got to say, and I said in privately, I am impressed how you handle the drama. It's quite different how it was on KF.
M
+1

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys.

Just to share,.....I hate banning anyone....truly hate it. What's happening here is me re-acting to a large volume of problems in the best way I can. There's so many things happening that it's becoming too big of a job to moderate and educate on an individual basis. I have to think that after 2 or 3 times of explanation that a person should understand. How long should I give someone to get with the program? And imagine this going on everyday - forever. It's daunting.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I banned another member this morning as well. He was a new member (knifemaker) who received the same amount of instruction as DH did but because he was new he was let go versus a 30 day suspension. In his case I simply don't need the aggravation.

PierreRodrigue

Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with Jon, I know that it must be a huge PITA to sort through all this mess, and I thank you for doing it.

A point of clarity needs to be made though. The grey area between hobbiest makers selling knives once a month un challenged, and using a recent example, someone showing work done, and saying it was done for another person, as far as perceived advertising goes, is very much he same. Both need to be treated in a similar fashion.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
First of all thank you for your work on forum Dave !!!
I cant imagen how hard it is to ban very popular member and deal with all mess that going around in forums

On other forums they have nice policy regarding that mader, they have 3 or 4 moderators to take decisions, so if they ban members or deled some post they set it on hold to decision is made by all 4 or more moderators.
I think it is also very importent that those moderators is from different countries, so there are more understanding and can never be personal.
And responsibility will never be only on one individual and more as group decision.

Banning get people always angry and in most cases they never get back.

It is shame because i love to see all kind of WIPs and the more pictures on the forum the better :D

Marko Tsourkan

Reaction score
Few thought on the subject and beyond.

There are always two sides of a story, and I agree with Ratton in Site Feedback subforum post that you have to be proactive, perhaps making a post explaining what happened and why quickly. I think it will discourage people jumping to conclusions and accusations.

As for Salty's post, I am not sure what to think of it. His videos have not always been merit based and have contributed to a degree of forums commercialization in the past and present, so his criticism comes ac across as a bit hypocritical.

You have to have a mix of enthusiasts and vendors (we live in materialistic society after all) to make a forum an attractive place to get information and to buy things. Many forum don't have commercial aspect to them and they tend to be small and dull, with lots of ego in the background (think FF) as seniority becomes a major asset.

As for hobbyists showing their work, it's a delicate issue. You would have anindividual to agree not to abuse their privileges, but how can you control it? If somebody shows work once and it leads to a number of future orders conducted on email or pm, you only find out about those when pics are posted on the forum. In this sense, I am pro rules with some flexibility (warning 1, warning 2, then suspension) toward those who break them.

Hobbyist forum is a good idea, but might need to be expanded somehow.

M

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just when I am not here often for a few days, things start heating up. Just agreeing that the differences between hobbyists and vendors can be very blurry. Either way, with the things being sold here, you only need to sell very little to cover the vendor fee and get all the privileges. I like that the vendors have their own space. Sometimes I think it would be nice to show off something in the general area, but in the end I find it more important that the commercial aspect does not cross over into general discussions.
More when I don't have to type on the phone

Stefan