Media Never need sharpening.......

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes! So the titanium grains are deposited on both sides of the steel blade edge, and the blade is never sharpened, just allowed to wear down?

This seems like a recipe for a mushy, wide "double saw" cut as it wears down, even if it worked. And at some point it becomes a throwaway when the steel edge between the Ti coat is too blunt, and it can't be thinned or sharpened normally.

I'm disappointed. Doesn't even come with a free Quick Chop.

Yikes! So the titanium grains are deposited on both sides of the steel blade edge, and the blade is never sharpened, just allowed to wear down?

This seems like a recipe for a mushy, wide "double saw" cut as it wears down, even if it worked. And at some point it becomes a throwaway when the steel edge between the Ti coat is too blunt, and it can't be thinned or sharpened normally.

Well, it says by the end of the video (7:00 min) you'll only need to send it to Japan to have the knife that never needs sharpening "reprocessed". So, instead of sharpening ourselves, we now only need to pay for a trip to Japan and back to have it sharpened. :idea2:

I assum many of you will be getting rid of your prized possessions in favor of this wonderful technology. I will gladely take your useless trinketts off of your hands 😎

I've seen several of these developments in the last few years. Fissler also had some fancy knife that basically had an ultra-resistant material mated with softer material. While it might be heresy for knife afficionades who bother to actually sharpen their knives on stones, I can actually see how this can be a good thing for an average lazy consumer who doesnt ever bother to sharpen a knife in a million years. If they can at least keep it cutting to some reasonable extent, why not?

The main issue tho is the price. I checked the website; a 135mm petty is 200 euros, the 180mm santoku is 250 euros. That's a lot of money for what is basically... just a knife that will just stay reasonably sharp for a while longer...before it goes blunt as well.
Also, for that kind of money one can buy an electrical sharpener and a lot of cheap Victorinox knives to get a much better long term experience...

The producer; tho I never heard of them it seems like they also seem to make (or at least sell) plenty of more traditional knives. Scroll down to the bottom for the fancy Sakon+.
https://www.hokiyama.com/brand-global

My $5 stainless santoku sharpened with a JNS300 performs better on that tomato than this 250 euros blade. I imagine even a manual pull-through sharpener can do better than that. Why buy that thing to have a worse performance and still pay to send it to Japan to sharpen it? It looks like the worst scenario to me.

Since this kind of thing is aimed at people who don't want to learn how to sharpen -- and that describes many of my friends and all my relatives -- it seems to me that the real money is in making a better/cheaper/easier sharpening gadget. One that actually works, and doesn't remove too much metal each time.

Or, just a sharpener with a better marketing gimmick. A big selling point lately is gadgets with no buttons or displays, where you do the setup over Bluetooth with a smartphone app. I have two of those now, an immersion circulator and vaper.

What the home knife market needs, is a motorized sharpener where you can adjust the angle and pressure of the grinder wheels with a smartphone app. It will sell like hotcakes. It will get people interested in sharpening their knives, because they can fool around with their phones as part of the process. I'll bet someone is already working on this.

@Jovidah Sakon/Hokiyama are actually a company that can make pretty decent knives.

My $5 stainless santoku sharpened with a JNS300 performs better on that tomato than this 250 euros blade. I imagine even a manual pull-through sharpener can do better than that. Why buy that thing to have a worse performance and still pay to send it to Japan to sharpen it? It looks like the worst scenario to me.
Never underestimate how deep the laziness of common folk can go.

When they are $19.95 and you get two of them for calling in the next 30 minutes then just maybe my friends and family would be interested.

At least it is specified to be sharpenable, unlike most other attempts at self-serrating knives ...

@Marcelo Amoral to the common householder, the need to sharpen is not a feature but a defect. To all but tool geeks like us, it is illogical why a smartphone made out of 5000 parts needs no regular sharpening but a shaped piece of steel hardware does.

Back