Never thought it would happen to me. hit by DrunkDriver.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i'm not gonna lie and say i didnt do stupid stuff in my youth. i get it. but i also grew up, and matured. my stupid stuff now is,way more innocuous.

i was happily sitting at a red light the other week and BAM! i was hit from behind. not that hard, but i sat there doing self inventory. no dizzyness, or pain. i checked traffic and got out of my car. everyone was staring at us. i decided the human thing to do would be to check on the other driver. younger man. he looked dazed. i asked him if he was okay and he ignored me. i finally noticed, HE WAS STILL DRIVING!>!! he was turning his steering wheel, reving the motor. his sedan was under my truck, and he was going nowhere. i yelled, to shut off his motor!. another motorist yelled for me to get away and she screamed the dude was drunk and weaving right up to the moment he drove under my truck. i called 911. someone already did, and the cops and fire, and ambo..showed up in minutes. they had to wrestle him out of the car and strap him to a gurney (With Cuffs).

i had that sinking feeling i was screwed. hahah...i laughed and the cop asked me what i was laughing at. i noted, that this was not the typical situation where two adults can exchange insuracne and DL info. NOPE! i should have picked the dudes pocket.

anyways, insult to truck injury, and at NO SURPRISE, the guy was not insured whatsoever. i wont explain the California law about uninsured motorist policy, but let me just say i wont get any help.

i'm still a happy dude. i am not hurt, and the idiot wasnt hurt. my truck is very old anyways. whatever happens now happens. sometimes driving defensivly isnt enough. :D.

be safe out there, and it goes without saying. in this modern world there is no need to drive drunk. UBER is easy.

i'm still driving the truck for the time being. it suffered suprisingly little damage. enough that i have to fix it if i wanted to keep it, but i am not keeping it. i'll donate it or sell it cheap.

Man that sucks, good luck getting things sorted!

You are a VERY relaxed guy.
I once got hit by a car coming towards me and suddenly taking a turn right in front of me. Guy started driving again and I hit his windshield a bunch of times and yelled at him, turns out he just wanted to park his car at the side of the road... Adrenalin taking over I guess.

When I am at a red light, I always check the rear view mirror a hundred times after I notice a car is coming up behind me, if it doesnt slow down, I'll run the red light if possible. Habit I picked up while riding motorcycles.

Glad you're okay. Got real lucky.

Fall of 2010 I was lucky enough to make it out unharmed after being hit by a drunk driver. She was heading down a one-way street the wrong direction and never attempted to stop as she was trying to cross the main road. She ran square in my rear passenger door. Destroyed both cars. Took me years to feel comfortable being a passenger and I still have issues when I'm driving and headlights are coming from side streets. Not fun.

Again, glad you are doing well

When I am at a red light, I always check the rear view mirror a hundred times after I notice a car is coming up behind me, if it doesnt slow down, I'll run the red light if possible. Habit I picked up while riding motorcycles.
Thats not going to end well if you happen to hit someone else with right of way on green. Might get away with it with clear dash cam footage, otherwise it could get ugly.

Glad to hear the OP is OK and the truck is driveable. Those older vehicles are built like tanks. Plenty of cop cam feeds on YT giving the viewer a sobering insight into who we share the roads with on a daily basis.

The only accident I've been in as a driver (in ~20 years of driving) was also while sitting still at a red light. Except the guy who rammed me in broad daylight wasn't inebriated at all, my car was totaled, and I had neck pain for a week. Stuff like this just happens for no reason sometimes, and there is nothing you can do about it.

1685564314593.png

Thanks. I’m on the waitlist for the Cybertruck but that’s isn’t happening. I think Musk is like Lex Luther anyways. Haha.

I’m buying another Toyota truck. Deposit paid, just waiting on delivery. I wasn’t mentally ready to buy a truck, but life doesn’t always go on my schedule.

Eff it.

Drunk drivers are often repeat offenders without insurance, Some have lost their licence but still get drunk & drive anyway. It's a problem here. Running over pedestrians, A high school student was killed in a crosswalk by drug driver who of coarse fled the accident. He was caught had a lengthy arrest history for drunk driving. Makes you wonder.

Drunk drivers are often repeat offenders without insurance, Some have lost their licence but still get drunk & drive anyway. It's a problem here. Running over pedestrians, A high school student was killed in a crosswalk by drug driver who of coarse fled the accident. He was caught had a lengthy arrest history for drunk driving. Makes you wonder.

Well,

if you could get to work reliably without a car in most of the US, taking these folk's licenses away would be a lot more likely to actually work.

Thanks. I’m on the waitlist for the Cybertruck but that’s isn’t happening. I think Musk is like Lex Luther anyways. Haha.

I’m buying another Toyota truck. Deposit paid, just waiting on delivery. I wasn’t mentally ready to buy a truck, but life doesn’t always go on my schedule.

Eff it.

I think the Toyota is a good idea. It will be properly welded together, at the very least.

Back