New 1k stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think @Michi liked it very much for the latter, maybe he can chime in for you.
I have the Cerax 3000. (Not sure whether that's exactly the same as the Ouka.) It works fine for touching up for me, and as a finisher for most of my knives.

I rarely bother going above 3000 any longer, except for my yanagiba. I find that a 3000 edge is plenty sharp enough for cooking, and it retains some bite so it doesn't slip on tomatoes.

At least two members here asked Suehiro and were told cerax and professional line were same composition at same grits / differently targeted marketing. We had one transcript of the mail with the actual answer.

There’s a couple threads discussing it already: hit Search with Ouka. I remember some good praise about its polishing capacities, so and so for actual edge finishing. I think @Michi liked it very much for the latter, maybe he can chime in for you.
It's always nice to have more opinions. I think I actually made a thread asking about the ouka. If you dont want to post what you think about it here. It would be nice to see your impressions posted there.

Edit: I guess I didn't make a thread. I must have just asked about it in another thread or something. Would still like to see what you think of it.

NP800 😍 😍 😍

Also on my top list now is Cerax #700.

Then I just received SP1500. Can't wait to see how it compares to SP1K and SP2K.

I'd be curious about your thought on the SP1500 compared to the SP1k/2k and the NP800. Would be great if you could share your impressions with us! Especially how the SP 1500 works with average stainless kitchen knives.

For OP,

In my opinion a superstone 1000 is on the soft side: makes mud easily, dishes fast.
If you find it on the hard side, I'm not sure a cerax or another 'soft' 1k stone will be what you are looking for.

I find it a hard stone to use (read: easy to mess up an edge with). Lately I found out that constant pressure does help a lot with the edge quality, something other stones didnt need my special attention for.
Therefor I find it a diffecult stone to use, also taking into account the final edge isnt special compared to other edges.

Yes maybe hard is not the word. And i am limited by poor technique to compare stones.
Feeling does seem better on the NP800 over the superstone and it seems to work a bit faster.

Last edited:
I'll surely post my experience at one point, especially concerning SP1500 compared to SP1K - SP2K which is a comparison where we're often lacking one of the terms, as either folks got the SP1K, or the SP1500, but rarely both. Same thing for anyone who could directly compare NP800 and NP1000, a question often asked.

Still I mentioned that the Ouka was discussed some around here since most of the discussions implied members that had surely more experience than myself. In this case I'll surely share my experience, but I don't see as much interest in it. But you guys asked so I'll try and find use to it in the next few days. I do have a Kono HD to sharpen, SP1500 and Ouka seem indicated for that, and I could surely add to the bevel progression of my Shi.Han with the Ouka even if I don't really need to.

My hands are going to hell with eczema as they do each winter. I'm spacing my sharpening sessions as much as I can - or can resist the urge to go to my stones. Should be able to do some testing next week or something.

A bit late to the discussion, but I'm quite frond of my Bester stones. Fast, stay flat, dont' make slurry, leave nice edges. I bought them mostly for A2 woodworking tools as they do a very nice job, but am quite happy with them for knives and razors too.

On the minus side of the equation, they do not slurry, so you cannot "work the mud" to reduce the effective grit size. Not any differnet, really, that other hard non-slurry stones, Shapton Glass for instance.

the 400 and 10k besters definitely makes a slurry. 400 is ultra muddy. the 10k medium/low muddy.

Same thing for anyone who could directly compare NP800 and NP1000, a question often asked.

i've had both the naniwa pro 1k and 800.
800 is much faster and more in line with what most people regard a 1k stone.
the 1k feels quite slow for a 1k. it finishes at about 1500, the 800 at 1200.
the 1k is only slightly faster than the shapton pro 2k but it creates nowhere near as good results.

its also quite messy to work with, that green slurry gets everywhere.
i eventually gave mine away since it was my worst 1k. basically it was not fast enough as a 1k compared to other 1k stones and it was not fine enough to be used as a finisher so i basically had no use for it. the 2k shapton is finer and more consistent.

i still have the 2k and 800 nanipro though and those are some of the best stones i have. 1 finisher and 1 coarse, the 1k was none of that.

Back