New Anova combi oven

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good, informative thread. After reading the pros/cons, decided to put an Anova high onto my 'wish list'—needing to problem solve where to squeeze it into my cozy, space-starved, Brooklyn kitchen; price is reasonable, in the region of a mid-range gyuto.
It won’t fit under most cabinets and it vents steam to the bottom right. You have to add water in the top right. I put mine on a cart, I’d think about putting it lower and leave the maple top above it
image.jpg

ps, went to eataly in flatiron today, they had some beautiful sardines!

Plus one on the cleaning!

I often google my ingredient and steam oven to get other manufacturers recipes as well. Expands the options

heres a subzero recipe I could have pointed @KO88 at

https://www.subzero-wolf.com/use-and-care/recipes/pot-roast-convection-steam-oven

I purchased this to get a better feel for combi cooking/cleaning/etc. and have to agree with the cleaning aspect. This is not a knock on the oven - just more an observation of if you confine something at high temp that 'pops' with oil/etc. sh$t happens ... I was considering getting a combi oven as a built-in but I think having used it a bit I prefer it solo/seperate in the pantry next to the main kitchen ... just my $0.02 ...

I do LOVE the unit and all things (IMO) ANOVA ... just some reality checks of H2O with Oil + temp ... all good though ... feel very lucky to even be able to buy something like this at the price point (from a historical perspective).

So this is the beef. Tender yet holds when cutting. Prety nice I must say! Served with mashed potatos and gravy (sry no pics of that 😅)…

Attachments

• C0B6F9A5-C6AA-4988-AFB4-D2C9014E3DB1.jpeg
    C0B6F9A5-C6AA-4988-AFB4-D2C9014E3DB1.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 17
Ok and now how would you guys roast pork belly with skin? Would love to do it easy just salt and caraway seeds. Juicy with cranchy skin… thx in advance for any idea…

I went to the app and followed the recipe for porchetta. Kept the timing at 27 hours, lowered the target temperature to 158.5. Finished as they did. If, err, when I do it again I’d put the seam side down.

edit: for the casual readers, the app calls for 165 as the target temperature.

C96769E3-586A-4C3B-B82A-974A45DD7C1D.jpeg

Last edited:
I went to the app and followed the recipe for porchetta. Kept the timing at 27 hours, lowered the target temperature to 158.5. Finished as they did. If, err, when I do it again I’d put the seam side down.

View attachment 161281
That looks horrible. Please send it to me and I will give it a proper disposal.

You are welcome.

Added the APO to my kitchen just after Thanksgiving. Hit my 1st 'descale' alert this past weekend, so I have been using the appliance frequently and enjoying it very much (especially vegetables!!). I generally cook for 2, and am quite pleased with the purchase (Black Friday "sale") so far. I also most generally agree with the consensus set of owners who also report they are enjoying the oven (i.e. the reports/reviews online are generally fair IME).

I specifically was challenged with firmware update given my home network config (firmware would not completely dl/install). I tried several obvious troubleshooting fixes and finally solved with an iPhone Hot Spot. To be able to properly download firmware, I deleted my original wifi network connection (in app) and then connected the Hot Spot for firmware dl (in app). Once successful, I then reset the connection again (in app), and was finally able to connect local wifi for seamless app usage. To be fair, this challenge is most likely due to my specific home network preferences, and my unwillingness to compromise for the oven.

I did my 1st deep-clean this past weekend, right after the de-scaling cycle. For cleaning after descaling: I used a 10% Sodium Hydroxide solution and about 20min to soak. This was a far less difficult than anticipated. Except for the roof, which is tedious between the curves of the heating element and the light fixture. The sides/bottom were a breeze with the NaOH. Note- if considering using NaOH, be prepared and educated; it is 'caustic lye' after all.

edit: for the casual readers, the app calls for 165 as the target temperature.

View attachment 161281
@KO88 , I forgot a step. After 8-12 hours I drained the liquid. I sv’d it in a deeper pan, this one shown was only for the final heat blast. The liquid in the other pan would have overflowed this one.

It won’t fit under most cabinets and it vents steam to the bottom right. You have to add water in the top right. I put mine on a cart, I’d think about putting it lower and leave the maple top above itView attachment 160369

ps, went to eataly in flatiron today, they had some beautiful sardines!
Chers. I do have a very similar cart next to the kitchen window, no cabinets above, that could work!

With meat approaching stratospheric pricing in Canada … picture please …

A3736F16-C017-421D-97F2-CEE1B42EAE56.jpeg

I took advantage of a rare sale of 1/2 strip loin packers. Knowing that this cut would be far from choice I took advantage of the Anova Precision Oven to produce a tender result from a less than premium cut. First step was a 48 hour dry brine using kosher salt, garlic powder, pepper and a bit of my favourite dry rub. After 48 hours this is what went into the oven.

E5CC0326-015D-4463-BA4C-67B04476CA4E.jpeg

I used a sous vide cook with 100% steam at 127F to a target internal temperature of the roast of 124F which took about 4 1/2 hours. I pulled the roast and when the steam had cleared and temperature reached, I returned it to the oven for 10 minutes at 425F, no steam. After 10 minutes the roast had reached an internal temperature of 132F. A couple of pics of the result …

A527FF2B-A3FA-4A50-9C43-A144B4BF0809.jpeg

74DB626C-2EE3-4B0A-9F81-0BCE987A08BD.jpeg
\

1797CD96-1172-4883-81A7-3EF11822F92B.jpeg

A tender medium rare result with enough drippings to make a zip sauce gravy. I couldn’t have done it without the Anova Precision Oven.

View attachment 161692

I took advantage of a rare sale of 1/2 strip loin packers. Knowing that this cut would be far from choice I took advantage of the Anova Precision Oven to produce a tender result from a less than premium cut. First step was a 48 hour dry brine using kosher salt, garlic powder, pepper and a bit of my favourite dry rub. After 48 hours this is what went into the oven.

View attachment 161693

I used a sous vide cook with 100% steam at 127F to a target internal temperature of the roast of 124F which took about 4 1/2 hours. I pulled the roast and when the steam had cleared and temperature reached, I returned it to the oven for 10 minutes at 425F, no steam. After 10 minutes the roast had reached an internal temperature of 132F. A couple of pics of the result …

View attachment 161694

View attachment 161696\

View attachment 161695

A tender medium rare result with enough drippings to make a zip sauce gravy. I couldn’t have done it without the Anova Precision Oven.
Looks great Brian. Hearing about micro-adjustments in temperature that others use is so helpful. I find small adjustments are pretty meaningful with this appliance.

View attachment 161692

View attachment 161693

View attachment 161694

View attachment 161696\

View attachment 161695

I do a lot of shopping at pretty high end butcher shops in NYC, the high cost capital of North America. I had to google to see if Canada sold meat by the pound or by the kilo. One place I go, Eataly, those prices would definitely be by the pound

Here's a picture I found online:

eataly.jpg

A year ago premium 58 day dry aged strip loin was about $25 a lb. Two weeks ago nothing special 14 day wet aged grain finished strip loin was $30 a lb. Today it’s $32 a lb. One of the nicest aspects of the Anova Precision Oven is that it can be used to get excellent results through slow cooking at low temperatures of lesser cuts of meat.

A year ago premium 58 day dry aged strip loin was about $25 a lb. Two weeks ago nothing special 14 day wet aged grain finished strip loin was $30 a lb. Today it’s $32 a lb. One of the nicest aspects of the Anova Precision Oven is that it can be used to get excellent results through slow cooking at low temperatures of lesser cuts of meat.
So those prices are by the pound? I thought Canada was all metric. And yes, I go to high end butchers and hound them for the cheapest cuts. Back a page or two, I had a picture of hanger steak (diaphragm) that I did in the oven, it was great. Probably 15-16 per pound. Might do some short ribs for dinner tonight, but those I like to braise.

Canada is metric but retailers will display pricing that carries the best price “impression”. Fresh fish is often advertised at a price per 100 grams ($3.99/100grams in the case of salmon, rather than $39.90 per kilogram or $18.11 per lb). Steak at $31.99 a lb rather than $70.38 a kg. Most consumers can’t do the conversion in their head so just follow the price impression as presented. Beef is reaching the point where retailers are going to have to post armed security guards in front of the meat counter.

So after ~24h 74 Celsius 100steam

Attachments

• 0A5C5B64-FDA4-4C65-BF5C-87E25D9AB01C.jpeg
    0A5C5B64-FDA4-4C65-BF5C-87E25D9AB01C.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 22
So after ~24h 74 Celsius 100steam
Blast it for 10 minutes. THat's what makes the skin crackle!

7. Adjust the Oven for Crisping
Rack

Sous Vide Mode: Off

Steam: Off

Temp: 482°F

Heat: Rear

8. Broil Pork Belly
Rack
Once the oven is hot, return the porchetta to the oven. Cook until the skin is brown, crisp, and crackling, about 10 minutes.

Sous Vide Mode: Off

Steam: Off

Temp: 482°F

Heat: Rear

00:10 Timer

Ko, what did you think of 74c temperature? I did mine at 70, I like it a little juicy. (That last comment is just low hanging fruit for the peanut gallery)

It was juicy as hell - I'm not sure if the difference of 4celsius in temperature makes any difference in juiciness especially with 100% steam...

Back