New Chinese Cleaver or Nakiri.

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Earth, May 24, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. May 24, 2019 #1

Earth

Earth

Earth

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    Chinese Cleaver / Nakiri

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Any

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    Any

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    Yes (or stainless clad)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    Possibly bellow 300, anything at the 200 range is most welcome.

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    Large quantities of veg, root veg, boneless meats, acidic fruits.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    None.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
    Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
    All, depending on the task.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
    Stain resistance would be a must.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
    Good edge retention would be welcome as well

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
    Colour coded chopping boards

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
    If anyone in Sydney knows anything about the store 'A1 Restaurant & Club supplies' in Eastwood, they sell what looks like traditional chinese cleavers, and the price ranges from $80 to $120 (I think). Are these knives any good? If I remember correctly, they look something like this.

2. May 24, 2019 #2

Elliot

Elliot

Elliot

Supporting Member

The best knife shop in Australia is Knives and Stones: http://www.knivesandstones.com/
    Your first play may be to hit up James and tell him what you need. I don't have a ton of experience with stainless Nakiri. In fact, I have never used one.

Just tossing this out there: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/mazaki-stainless-kasumi-nakiri-165mm/
    I have heard Mazaki's ginsan is good and JNS offers free shipping, so total cost is within reason. In a pro environment, 165mm isn't exactly fabulous, but to each their own, I suppose.

3. May 25, 2019 #3

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

Noodle Soup

I use both but the cleaver is my all purpose tool. The nikiri is a special purpose small cutting job knife for me. I've wondered Asia enough to know not everyone feels that way. You see a lot of nikiri pattern knives at work in Thailand, Viet Nam, Cambodia and Malaysia next to the cleavers.

4. May 25, 2019 #4

F-Flash

F-Flash

F-Flash

If you want smaller cleaver Sugimoto cm 4030 is the one for you. Kinda between nakiri and full sized chuka. Very easy to sharpen and overall Good steel.

Suien vc is good full sized cleaver, not stainless thought.. But pretty stain resistant. Don't have expiriencd with stainless full sized cleavers.

5. May 26, 2019 #5

ynot1985

ynot1985

ynot1985

Hi.. I’m in Sydney too.. as said .. go to James at kns.. showroom at St Peter’s. my favourite is the Kurosaki AS mini cleaver.. 300ish aud .. amazing knife.

There is also Leung Tim in Burwood. A knife shop from Hk.. cleavers should be their speciality

6. May 27, 2019 #6

Michi

Michi

Michi

Supporting Member

The Chan Chi Kee cleaver you linked to is extremely popular in Asia and pretty much the standard cleaver knife. They are made and sold by the tens of thousands.
    To try whether you like working with a cleaver, this seems a sensible choice. It's definitely a quality knife and it's cheap. If you decide that you have fallen in love with cleavers, you can buy a fancy up-market one then.

7. May 27, 2019 #7

Hammett

Hammett

Hammett

Michi's advice is spot on, but given your interest in stain resistance I would recommend the KF1912 in stainless. I have stainless and carbon in this size and like them both very much. The 1912 in stainless is slightly thicker than the 1903. They both have very thin grinds that facilitate slicing.

The seller you linked to sells the 1912, but not the 1911 that is equivalent to the 1302 that you linked to. The difference is between the two is slight.

8. May 28, 2019 #8

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

If you are set on stainless than the Sujimoto 4030 is a good blade. The steel is easy to sharpen and not so hard as to chip when chopping. The CCK you posted is carbon steel it is also a softer carbon that is chip resistant. Have not checked the Sujimoto prices lately you can find them under 150.00. The CCK is under 100.00.

A cleaver is a much more useful tool than a nakiri. If you are trying a cleaver for the first time don't spend big coin on a custom cleaver. Get a cheaper one and learn how to use it. Also have seen expensive cleavers not made by cleaver experts non Chinese blades that do not do well at all in a production kitchen.

I have not bought a stainless CCK in decades, only carbon. Maybe the CCK stainless is better than it was when I tried it years ago. They also have a triple steel veg. cleaver never used one but might be good.

9. May 28, 2019 #9

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

Ochazuke

I just want to add that nakiri and cleaver are very different knives that I don't think overlap very much. I second everybody's recommendation to go for a cleaver. It's way more of all-purpose knife. Plus, I've almost never seen a nakiri in a pro environment, they're much more geared for home chef.

changy915 likes this.
  10. May 30, 2019 #10

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Chef Doom

Suien cleavers are a good option.