New Custom Fillet Knife from Butch!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratton

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi There,
After patiently waiting, and the wait was really worth it, I received my new Custom Fillet Knife with Diver Blue handle from Butch.:knife:
More pictures and info to come later.

Thanks Butch!!!

2-4+PS.jpg

Them fishys better be lookin' out!

Here are a couple more pictures, one showing my family of Butches!!

I met Butch 5 years ago at the first ECG; at that time he was a struggling, fledgling knife maker just scraping to get by. I don’t think he had enough money to get a hotel room that night! I was impressed with what I saw, his determination that he could make anything; a diamond in the rough you might say.

How times have changed, Butch has evolved into a gifted craftsman showing us he has the talent it takes to make anything and now one must wait to get a custom from him! As I said earlier the wait is worth it!!

We had several discussions regarding what I wanted in a fillet knife. Primarily I wanted it stainless steel, I didn’t want a blade with a lot of flex and I did not want it handle heavy. He looked after my wants; the blade is a new SS he is trying out and I will be giving him fed back as to how it holds up, the blade has very little flex and the balance point is just in front of the handle.

The blade is slightly over 10 & ½ inches long, measured from the handle and the knife is just over 15 & 5/8 inches in overall length. The blade is approximately 1 & 1/8 inches wide. It came push cutting sharp out of the box and I’ll see how long that lasts.

I haven’t anything on hand to use the knife for it’s intended purpose, so I am using it as I would a guyto, to cut up everything for supper, just to see how the steel reacts. I’ll post more after some use.

Again, thanks Butch for the great job!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5-7+PS.jpg

20-23+PS.jpg

good stuff, thanks for sharing his work. I'm guessing CTS-XHP? nice symmetry on the chef's knife by the way. What is his wait list at present? I'm very looking forward to these exotic steels he's capable of putting out.:hungry:

the wait is kind of funny as im only kind of taking orders with dave and another vender taking all of what i biuild its hard

tho now and then i will take on a project

Nice! Wouldn't mind trying one of those out on a dolphin or blackfin tuna.

for you left coasters: these crazy southerners call Mahi Mahi "dolphin."

Last time I was in FL it sure took me a while to get used to seeing dolphin on the menu everywhere, or even more wierd, ordering it for dinner!

We always called it dolphin and many still do just to get a rise out of the uninformed. In Latin America, it is called dorado. The mahi-mahi name was adopted when the stuff started showing up on "Pacific Rim" menus outside of the south. It needed a new name so as not to scare the tourists. Same with Patagonian toothfish (Chilean sea bass) and sllmehead. (orange roughy):biggrin:

Last time I was in FL it sure took me a while to get used to seeing dolphin on the menu everywhere, or even more wierd, ordering it for dinner!

Yeah, I know about dolphin fish, just another failed attempt at humor I guess :angel2:

Very.. very nice! Butch's work rocks!!

Did you get all of those done at the same time?

Did you get all of those done at the same time?

No only the fillet, I bought the chefs knife 5 years ago, just after I first met Butch and the other 2 I've had for 3or 4 years now.

Back