New guy with Gustav Emil Ern

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmund

Reaction score
Newbie here that is just starting a knife hobby. I recently bought a few knives I thought were cool and am having a hard time with getting a clear identification of this Gustav Emil Ern. It has a 12 inch blade and is 17.5 inches long. I was told it is very old but not sure about that. I’d appreciate any feedback you can give me on age, quality, type (is it a butcher?), value, and rstore and maintenance tips. Thanks

Attachments

• A40281BB-BBF1-4C70-AACC-46E9D5BF9C14.jpeg
    A40281BB-BBF1-4C70-AACC-46E9D5BF9C14.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 21
I have a Gustav Emil Erm 17 inch (12 blade), unfortunately it a Stainless Steel one. Is it worth listing on here?

Last edited by a moderator:
.View attachment 238446
This is my knife. Any use to anyone
It has been maintained very correctly, which isn't that common. Love the profile. Wouldn't be surprised if it were made in their good times. I would be very reluctant to use that steel, though. It's extremely coarse. If you were to use a steel with it, please get a Dickoron Micro.

It has been maintained very correctly, which isn't that common. Love the profile. Wouldn't be surprised if it were made in their good times. I would be very reluctant to use that steel, though. It's extremely coarse. If you were to use a steel with it, please get a Dickoron Micro.
Thanks, don’t use a steel, it was more to give an idea to its size

Newbie here that is just starting a knife hobby. I recently bought a few knives I thought were cool and am having a hard time with getting a clear identification of this Gustav Emil Ern. It has a 12 inch blade and is 17.5 inches long. I was told it is very old but not sure about that. I’d appreciate any feedback you can give me on age, quality, type (is it a butcher?), value, and restore and maintenance tips. Thanks
Welcome. That is indeed an nice, old G.E.Ern. Quality=high. It is a butcher's knife, specifically a scimitar/cimeter. It's made for primal cuts (IE large proteins like beef) but I've seen them used many other ways. Value is subjective but I'd place it in the $50-100 range. Not much restoration needed as it's in great shape as it is. As for maintenance the handle is the weakest link here IMO. I'd give it a thorough washing in soap and water and then dry it extensively. Lastly I'd recommend a mineral oil and beeswax mix to keep the handle in good shape.

Every german knife manufacturer stopped quality in the 80`s. ;). Just skip anything with plastic handles and you are good to go. Btw.
Btw. this is one of the most worst thining jobs i ever have seen. And it is one of the newer bad blades, sorry. Made with a fast running machine i would not take this for free.

SirCutALot

Btw. this is one of the most worst thining jobs i ever have seen. And it is one of the newer bad blades, sorry. Made with a fast running machine i would not take this for free.

SiSirCutALot
No idea whether this was meant as a thinning job. I don't know the original state of this 50-years old blade, or what the sharpener has been asked to perform. Very common issues are a damaged tip, a protruding fingerguard and a reverse belly. Sure, the back bevel could have polished, but the profile has been restored beautifully. The end user may easily do whatever he likes since the major work has been done.

Back