New handles instal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Planning to swap some handles for the first time today.

180mm wat pro, 210 PIE Cutlery, and 240 Yoshikane.
All 3 of them have the same problem for me, the handles are too wide. The new handles are a bit narrower which I prefer but I’m a bit concerned about the length difference.

The wat pro new handle is ~.25inch longer, the pie is about .25inch shorter and the yoshi is about half an inch shorter.
I’ve never rehandled anything so do you think this will make them feel very different in hand or is it a small enough difference it will likely be negligible?
I don’t mind the current lengths just the width.

08DAA689-D050-4D31-A963-9E4A114205AC.jpeg

Planning to do 150° for 10 minutes then pull handles off. Heat tang over the stove for a minute then shove into new handle w/ hot glue. Will have to get beeswax to seal the top.

Thoughts/advice? Thanks!

Try without heat first to remove handles. For example, the wat and yoshikane may not have any glue to attach the existing handle. If that's the case, you can knock em off pretty easy without heat.

Length is only one factor that contributes to weight of the handle. Material density is something that people often don't consider, and I think it plays a bigger role. Based on the materials I see, I would expect to have some weight shift toward the handle side. Looks like the wat and yoshi have lightweight existing handles, but the materials for all the new handles look to be on the denser side.

Try without heat first to remove handles. For example, the wat and yoshikane may not have any glue to attach the existing handle. If that's the case, you can knock em off pretty easy without heat.

Length is only one factor that contributes to weight of the handle. Material density is something that people often don't consider, and I think it plays a bigger role. Based on the materials I see, I would expect to have some weight shift toward the handle side. Looks like the wat and yoshi have lightweight existing handles, but the materials for all the new handles look to be on the denser side.
Yeah the weights will definitely be different. I don’t mind handle heavy knives so not too worried about that.
My main concern is length but I’m not sure it’ll matter. With a pinch grip high up the blade, especially on the Yoshikane, there’s so much handle hanging out the back of my hand I don’t think it’ll change much.

Gonna put the baby to sleep and give it a go on a bit. You think a block of wood and a mallet will be enough to knock the handles off?

Yeah the weights will definitely be different. I don’t mind handle heavy knives so not too worried about that.
My main concern is length but I’m not sure it’ll matter. With a pinch grip high up the blade, especially on the Yoshikane, there’s so much handle hanging out the back of my hand I don’t think it’ll change much.

Gonna put the baby to sleep and give it a go on a bit. You think a block of wood and a mallet will be enough to knock the handles off?
The minimum I go for my handles is 120mm. I don't see length being an issue.

A block of wood and mallet is sufficient. Careful not to cut yourself on the blade or bash the tip off with the mallet and you'll be fine.

The minimum I go for my handles is 120mm. I don't see length being an issue.

A block of wood and mallet is sufficient. Careful not to cut yourself on the blade or bash the tip off with the mallet and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the advice. We’ll see how this goes! If I butcher it I’ll drive over to JKI with my head hung low and see if they’ll do it lol.

Yeah I'm venturing into handle making and I for one totally spaced the quite varying weights of the woods between handles! Then the other little things like what style did you choose, dowel or no dowel? Dowel will remove a bit more weight than the latter I believe with the hole being bigger.

Anyways interested in seeing how this turns out for you!

assuming a pinch grip you wont notice a length difference at all other than how it contributes to weight. Nice new handles by the way, especially changing out that wenge one. I hate wenge handles. :)
Thanks! Got them from knifehandle37 on IG. Was recommended in another thread on here.

Told him I’m tired of every knife I have being so dark, let him have free reign of design and length. Just told him the blade lengths I was going to swap

Back