New HVAC unit upstairs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
So earlier this week my upstairs HVAC unit went dead. I got the first quote in for a Trane, the cheapest option of compressor and air handler was over 6000. Does this seem correct or is that high? I am going to get a couple of more estimates but man that is alot of cash. At least it happened before it got hot. Any other suggestions are welcomed. The unit is 1.5 ton heat pump. Removal of old and installation.

Seems high to me. Paid about half that last year for a new unit at my wife's old townhouse (now a rental, and third time the tenant has screwed up the HVAC...). The inside unit is in the lower level, with access through sliding door, so probably a little less labor then having to get a unit in and out of an attic. With that being said, I would be surprised if labor costs down your way are the same as up here; i would suspect they are 10-15% lower.

Seems high to me. Paid about half that last year for a new unit at my wife's old townhouse (now a rental, and third time the tenant has screwed up the HVAC...). The inside unit is in the lower level, with access through sliding door, so probably a little less labor then having to get a unit in and out of an attic. With that being said, I would be surprised if labor costs down your way are the same as up here; i would suspect they are 10-15% lower.

How did the tenant screw up the HVAC?

Yes, how does that happen? Nail through the lineset?

Things like going out of town for 30 days without having anyone check on the house, and a painter left a dropcloth over the exterior unit before they left; the unit rana dn ran, coils froze, water leaked all over basement (carpet replacement, drywall repair, etc. needed), coils damaged by the ice... last summer, the unit wasn't blowing cold (developed a small leak) so they lower the thermostat. Still was warm, so they lowered it some more. Still was warm, so they lowered it even more and then went and stayed at someone else's house for the weekend, they did not notify us at all during this.... Then they had a friend of theirs who 'knew air conditioning' come out, and he pumped in the wrong gas and screwed up soem other stuff.

So earlier this week my upstairs HVAC unit went dead. I got the first quote in for a Trane, the cheapest option of compressor and air handler was over 6000. Does this seem correct or is that high? I am going to get a couple of more estimates but man that is alot of cash. At least it happened before it got hot. Any other suggestions are welcomed. The unit is 1.5 ton heat pump. Removal of old and installation.

Why are they replacing both the compressor and air handler? What exactly failed and how old are the units?

If you don't have to get it fixed right away most manufacturers have sales in the spring which can save you quite a bit. Might even be going on now.

Why are they replacing both the compressor and air handler? What exactly failed and how old are the units?

The evaporator has a hole in it which cased the compressor outside to short out is what they told me. I hope to have another set of contractors come by this week, it may just be expensive here but that feels a little high. The guys that came out and evaluated this initially said the parts to replace that were 4k if that info helps.

Thanks for the info guys.

The unit is the XR14

Jared

Back