New kashima line from cleancut, rs-60 steel?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by labor of love, Oct 8, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 8, 2018 #1

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

2. Oct 8, 2018 #2

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

Here's the blurb from cleancut translated

The XX-60 refers the hardness. Most steels have a range of usable hardnesses so its rare to see a steel trademark linked to a single application/use case. To me this suggests its a proprietary steel or a commonly available steel simply masked with a trade name for this specific application.

3. Oct 13, 2018 #3

inferno

inferno

inferno

its supposedly the same as the kanehide "ps60" and that one is hitachi gin5 https://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/yss/search/gin5.html

which is just a copycat of sandvik 13c26 which is just a copy of uddeholm aeb-l.

it has no carbide formers except cr so the abrasive wear resistance is as low as it will get for a stainless. adhesive wear should be good though. tough steel, fine grained, easy to sharpen, should take a fine edge that it holds for like 2 minutes or so.

Personally not a fan of this family of steels since i feel the edges don't last very long and they're not that easy to sharpen compared to carbon. aus-8 is better imo. vg10 too.

4. Oct 13, 2018 #4

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

i hate both lasers and aeb-l :D double fail

5. Oct 17, 2018 #5

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

bahamaroot

Devin Thomas and Randy Haas make some damn good knives using AEB-L. A good steel if you know what you're doing.