New knife block

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneStaple

Reaction score
All,

I just completed a new knife block and wanted to share. Other than doing google image searches of tons of knife blocks to see what concepts are out there that I do/don't like, this is totally my own design. For now, I'm just sharing final photos, but can post some WIP pictures too if others are interested.

Details of note (no particular order):

1. This is made of some scraps of crotch/flame walnut, scraps of curly maple, and some hard maple. One piece of walnut had a significant crack due to drying that couldn't be easily put back together (thus the resin).

2. Each side and the top are magnetic. Three vertical rows of continuous 1/2" round rare-earth magnets on the sides. One continuous row of 1/2" magnets down the middle of the top for paring knives. All magnets are backed by a bar of steel.

3. Each knife slot has one or two small 1/4" magnets (one in the center of narrower slots, two spaced out on wider slots). It provides just enough downward pull on the blade to keep a handle-heavy knife from being tilted in the slot. They provide almost unnoticeable resistance to inserting/removing knives.

4. The base dimensions are about 12" x 6". The top dimensions are about 8-1/4" x 3-5/8". The height is about 15". This takes up only slightly more room than my previous, generic, piece-of-junk knife block (see picture of knife blocks on the counter). I also couldn't fit all my knives in the previous block and had to keep about 8 of them in sayas (mostly the nicer ones) in a drawer.

5. This sucker is HEAVY, being essentially solid wood. No threat of tipping over when you grab a knife. There are also rubber feet on the bottom to give an air gap and keep it from sliding on the counter.

6. The slots vary in width from 35mm to 102mm. The bottom slot is sized specifically for my cleaver.

7. I spaced the slots/sides such that it's comfortable to grab a handle, regardless of location.

8. The side walnut pieces are attached to the center maple pieces with a flexible epoxy (West System G/Flex) to allow for some differential expansion/contraction of the woods through the seasons.

9. I wanted something that could hold a lot of knives without taking up a lot of room. I also wanted at least some magnetic holding capabilities for my carbon knives.

10. I probably have room to fit about 9 more decent sized knives (~50mm tall) in/on the block. Seems like justification to get more. I also plan to get rid of some existing ones (especially if I ever try my hand at making knives).

11. My only concern is that now my nicer knives aren't hidden in sayas in a drawer and may be tempting for guests to use. I'll likely be reinforcing the concept that I'm a knife snob when I instruct visitors on which knives they're allowed to touch.

12. Also displayed in the pictures is my meager knife collection. Some are cheap and specifically for visitors to use (don’t judge!).

13. Forgive my poor photography skills. I tried using some tips from online, but photography isn’t my forte.

Tyler

P1080241 small.jpg

P1080242 small.jpg

P1080243 small.jpg

P1080244 small.jpg

P1080245 small.jpg

P1080251 small.jpg

P1080254 small.jpg

P1080255 small.jpg

P1080256 small.jpg

P1080257 small.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. And no, not for sale. :)

A few WIP pictures...

1 and 2. Pictures of the rough walnut, including the cracked piece.
IMG_20181026_201018 small.jpg

IMG_20181026_201048 small.jpg

3. Pieces rough cut to size.
IMG_20190425_203316 small.jpg

4. Cutting matching angles on the sides. This took tape "shims" to creep up on it. Very tedious.
IMG_20190427_223030 small.jpg

5 and 6. Cutting the end angles to match. Again, tape shims. The knife slots have already been cut at this point (after the side angles were done).
IMG_20190506_212341 small.jpg

IMG_20190506_214945 small.jpg

7. Dowels were used to keep each piece in the stack aligned.
IMG_20190506_213827 small.jpg

8. Dry stacked parts with all angles and slots cut. Only the top walnut/maple pieces are glued at this point.
IMG_20190506_220937 small.jpg

9. Small magnets in each slot (with blue tape on top in this picture) to hold handle-heavy knives parallel in the slot. The other two holes are for dowels.
IMG_20190514_180931 small.jpg

10. Initial epoxy pour.
IMG_20190912_205834 small.jpg

11 and 12. Slots routed in back for magnets. And magnets caulked in place (to allow for wood movement vs. the metal bar behind the magnets). This walnut will be trimmed significantly on one side and the top.
IMG_20190915_211955 small.jpg

IMG_20190930_212210 small.jpg

13. Using hand planes and a random-orbit sander to flatten/clean up the maple after gluing pieces together.
IMG_20191010_215302 small.jpg

14. Glue up of the sides to the main body. A special jig was necessary due to the angles to keep the clamps from sliding.
IMG_20191014_150229 small.jpg

Then just final trimming, sanding, and finishing!

Tyler

Wow, well done! Great craftsmanship and really innovative design. That was a labor of love, for sure.

Fantastic! How much time do you figure it took?

Fantastic! How much time do you figure it took?
I always have trouble answering that on projects. This one was done over the course of roughly a year with lots of breaks and other projects worked on in between, including having a kid. That's a long way of saying that I have no clue. A bunch of hours but not too many?

Tyler

Back