New knife edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbjames123

Reaction score
Do you guys find yourselves taking your knife to a stone as soon as you get it? Obviously some knives are stone finished. But I often find myself getting rid of the factory edge before I take mine to work.

I'm only a home cook but I find that out of curiosity I like to test the factory edge on a meal prep and then put my own edge on. Even if the factory edge is not bad it is rarely tuned to my liking. But I like sharpening and testing different edges.

Do you guys find yourselves taking your knife to a stone as soon as you get it? Obviously some knives are stone finished. But I often find myself getting rid of the factory edge before I take mine to work.
Depends on the knife/steel. The TF edge is prone to micro-chipping OOTB. Its stable after a quick turn on the stones.

I always put a new edge on. I also always flatten/thin the blade so its perfect. yeah its a lot of work but the knives are also a hobby so I dont see it as wasted time.

I just got my Konosuke Fuji FM240 W#1. No way this blade needs a new edge. That would be an insult to the sharpening protege who replaced the old guy.

I like to create a new edge for the most part. The exceptions being Mazaki from JNS (best OOTB edge I've ever tried) and ShiHan, who did a really great job on the stones before I picked the knife up.

I usually give the factory edge a try before trying to sharpen it. I find that some knives have a nice ootb edge

i give the factory edge a fair chance, unless it's really not good

the OCD doesn't really kick in until the first thinning session, which exposes all the high/low spots in the grind, then i spend a few hours making it perfectly flat.

Back