Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Larrin

Reaction score
Last edited:

cooktocut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a new article and video with knife steel ratings in terms of toughness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance. Plus discussion of how those ratings are generated and the steel factors that control them. The video and article are complementary I recommend reading/watching both.

Video:

Article: Knife Steels Rated by a Metallurgist - Toughness, Edge Retention, and Corrosion Resistance - Knife Steel Nerds
I actually enjoyed this quite a bit, love the theme! Looking forward to putting my MagnaCut knife to work soon!

toast

Reaction score
This was a fantastic read. Thanks for putting it together

Lakeshow

Reaction score
Great read about steels for a beginner like myself. Will def be referring to it in the future. Thx for putting this together

Moooza

Reaction score
Great video and article.

10V looks so good, but could you please provide some simplified thoughts on Z-Max?

Moooza

Reaction score
Z-Max is an interesting outlier. Would it make a good outdoor knife? Just general practical impressions if possible.

M1k3

¯\_(ツ)_/¯-known member
Reaction score
Z-Max is an interesting outlier. Would it make a good outdoor knife? Just general practical impressions if possible.
What's even more interesting, according to zKnives, Rex 121 and Z-Max are the same steel.

Larrin

Reaction score
I guess that depends on what you mean by outdoor knife. It’s designed for very high hardness and wear resistance not for toughness.