New knife with cladding issues

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunter1001

Reaction score
I just received a new Masakage Kujira Gyuto 150mm the other day. And it's a super cool knife; however, I noticed a bunch of pitting on the cladding. Wondering if this is anything I should worry about (bacteria, moisture, etc). If not, I'm not going to worry too much as it otherwise a really nice knife.

IMG_3406.jpeg
IMG_3407.jpeg
IMG_3405.jpeg

I can't tell for sure from the pics but looks like possibly inclusions during forge welding the layers of cladding. It's a flaw, though in the case of the flaws being only in the cladding on a kitchen knife, probably not a fatal one. It's more likely to rust there just due to the larger and probably irregular surface, because it may be a little harder to dry than a smooth continuous surface. If you carefully dry with towels after use, it will probably not be an issue. It's possible the inclusion goes deeper where you can't see it and wicks water in there which might cause rust. But you probably won't know until it's gone bad. In my opinion, this type of flaw should result in a discounted price at time of sale.

I would exchange this if possible. Its not a huge deal, but is a flaw if you can feel a physical dip there. I had a similar issue on the cladding of a non damascus san-mai and was able to get rid of it by thinning the blade past the issue, but was metal I didn't have to waste.

It bothers you enough to make this post and that's all that really matters, exchange it. For what you paid for it I'd want to be completely happy with it.

It bothers you enough to make this post and that's all that really matters, exchange it. For what you paid for it I'd want to be completely happy with it.

I agree, this is an issue for the vendor to address.

If I remember correctly Kujira line was done using damascus made from scrap metal that the blacksmith made by himself, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not, but definitely talk to your retailer if unsure.

Wabi Sabi bro.

Japanese for your defective knife is perfect. Stop complaining.

Back