New Mazaki Profile. Opinions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your point. But was just thinking of the Mizuno "KS." Based on the Masamoto KS profile, but done in a higher grade steel for $1,315.00, think I got my Masamoto KS for $325 back in 2013.
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...tom-order-ks-style-white-steel-wa-gyuto-hks-1

It's all conjecture, but since Mazaki is quite a buzzy maker these days. If another maker came out with a gyuto that had the same characteristics as a Mazaki—doesn't even have to call it a Mazaki derived knife—but similar profile and grind, thick spine, aggressive distal taper, with some upgrades, it would probably sell. I've seen makers with their versions of KS and Shig designs—why not Mazaki derivative gyutos?

That said, I'm happy with my Mazs, thrilled at the price point. Speaking of which, if Watanabe is increasing prices, and JKI is predicting increases with forthcoming shipments, wonder if Mazaki will increase prices—don't they all use steel from the same source?

If there’s a way to make a buck, someone will do it. Just look at overpricedtogo everything’s an overprice knockoff or just over priced junk. As for increases, I’m sure most of its due to North American retail greed. Look at some of the direct to order houses, hasn’t been a whole lot of increases in years. Order from some of the under the radar japanese resellers and you find wayyyyyyy better pricing.

I like my Maz just as it is as well. Doesn’t need a thing in my opinion.

If there’s a way to make a buck, someone will do it. Just look at overpricedtogo everything’s an overprice knockoff or just over priced junk. As for increases, I’m sure most of its due to North American retail greed. Look at some of the direct to order houses, hasn’t been a whole lot of increases in years. Order from some of the under the radar japanese resellers and you find wayyyyyyy better pricing.

I agree, I'm already looking forward to buying another Maz off the shelf. I do think collectors' have different objectives, not all purchases based on performance and value—there's the element of luxury and rarity. For me the wonderful thing of Mazaki is his knives hit that sweet spot of affordability, handmade, good performance, good handle on my CC version, understated (bling free).

Alright, here’s my attempt at duplicating hawkie’s photos. I don’t have an iPad Pro, but I did find a nickel...

JNS 240 (oct ‘18)
F3620FE5-F0D0-4878-B5CF-F29E04131079.jpeg

C8F1C7F2-7773-47D0-BC48-877B69AB9D49.jpeg

5FCBB14A-9B8D-4663-BCEE-DF37A39D9359.jpeg

JNS 270 (dec ‘18)
BD95EAE7-E742-41B8-9FBA-9A08751DF02A.jpeg

4AC8F245-82FE-4AF2-A4E2-F61662FAECA4.jpeg

9D99633D-EC7E-421E-AD51-4163E1B03CE6.jpeg

Side by side (270 on left)
1983A7E4-D8C1-4A2C-BA45-364882E6DDF5.jpeg

349AEE6C-35D8-49B6-BF6D-337CA25D740B.jpeg

43B5D640-187B-4D11-839E-9A126AB17C69.jpeg

5C139072-91DE-4936-9789-E16FE9F9DEBD.jpeg

Thin tip, perfect distal taper, laser thin edge

Gee, those knife tips look great, sick & scary! Can you bend the tip at all by hand? Does it bend a lot during sharpening or moderately hard use? Just curious

i cant speak for other retailers, but i've got conversations with craftsmen and bills that prove the issues are real... also, you'd be surprised at the number of people both here and in japan who are willing to make nearly no money just to get a sale or two (but also have no ability to keep this up in the long term or that are working from older inventory)

i cant speak for other retailers, but i've got conversations with craftsmen and bills that prove the issues are real... also, you'd be surprised at the number of people both here and in japan who are willing to make nearly no money just to get a sale or two (but also have no ability to keep this up in the long term or that are working from older inventory)
Yep prices ricing this year in Japan for knives as well, i just increase them slowly instead all at ones, all old inventory however will not be, but it is legit prices will rice for all knives this year because of coal, fuel steel prices

Nicely said. My wife and I own and run an art gallery together, selling artworks to collectors. It's challenging to balance things out with pricing artworks at a price point that's fair and that the market will support—against the costs of having a brick and mortar space like rent, utilities, insurance, up keep, marketing, etc. Expenses that are not passed on are the countless amount of time spent with clients, research for valuation, searching out and vetting out pieces for sale. Profit margins for galleries are often razor thin.

I know it's a different type of business that selling fine kitchen knives, but I can relate and appreciate the ripple effect that price increases has on the product's price.

Alright, here’s my attempt at duplicating hawkie’s photos. I don’t have an iPad Pro, but I did find a nickel...

JNS 240 (oct ‘18)
View attachment 47963

View attachment 47964

View attachment 47965

JNS 270 (dec ‘18)
View attachment 47966

View attachment 47967

View attachment 47968

Side by side (270 on left)
View attachment 47969

View attachment 47970

View attachment 47972

View attachment 47971

Excellent comparisons! Seems like knives from K&S and that other place are very similar. Thanks.

Gee, those knife tips look great, sick & scary! Can you bend the tip at all by hand? Does it bend a lot during sharpening or moderately hard use? Just curious

The tip is very thin and it distorts when you press your finger nail on it. Very delicate, I would be careful not to bang it on the sink or hard countertop as I would think that tip would snap off real quick. The knife does a great job with most anything. I enjoy using the front half of the blade, cuts effortlessly.

Have an off-topic question regarding Mazaki.

I'm aware of pretty much all the vendors that sell Mazaki knives—JNS, CC, K&S, Razorsharp, Japana, AFrames.

Question is—where would someone in Japan purchase a Mazaki knife? I've never been to Japan, let alone Sanjo—are there knife shops in Sanjo that Mazaki and other makers there sell their knives?

To add to the vendors, I believe Knifewear also sells Mazaki knives as I have one from there. They seem to only have the nashiji version though

DitmasPork's question is vaild no?

I've always wondered about that as well, are makers that are talked about/bought/sold here , morenreadily available in Japan/local proximity where it's made? For example if I goto Sanjo, will I be likely to find any Mazaki, Hinoura, Shigefusa stuff at the local Hamono?

DitmasPork's question is vaild no?

I've always wondered about that as well, are makers that are talked about/bought/sold here , morenreadily available in Japan/local proximity where it's made? For example if I goto Sanjo, will I be likely to find any Mazaki, Hinoura, Shigefusa stuff at the local Hamono?
a lot of those guys are so in demand that its even difficult to find inventory when you're there, and many of the craftsmen dont sit on a lot of inventory, as they mostly sell through vendors (via wholesalers in most cases)

Half-assed attempt at showing how damn thin the tip of my 210 is. Not sure how clearly it shows without perspective, but I think it's prety spectacular! The photo only shows about half the length of the spine, so it is considerably thicker closer to the handle.
FSdvu2D.jpg

Latest posts

Back