New Mazaki Profile. Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by DitmasPork, Jul 4, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 24, 2018 #181

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

I’m surprised there aren’t more Maz Ginsans on the market, surely there’d be demand. A couple of vendor go sell stainless clad white #2 Mazs’.

I predict that it won’t be long before Mazaki-san starts playing with other steels. He’s tweaked and finessing the profile, grinds and finish on his gyutos—doing his knives in a different steel seems a logical progression for this young, ambitious knife maker.

Mazaki 230mm in blue? ...in powdered steel? ...in monosteel 52100? Waiting with bated breath.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  2. Nov 24, 2018 #182

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

My Mazaki 220 handle is quite aromatic. I've heard people say that it's probably cherry wood, based on some research I'm gonna guess that it's Zelkova Wood (keyaki) which is said to have a very cedar like scent. Anyone know for sure? I'll email Chris at CC.

3. Nov 24, 2018 #183

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

It may also be Yew.

4. Nov 24, 2018 #184

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

Thank yew! I've never held a yew handle, does it have a strong smell?

5. Nov 24, 2018 #185

JBroida

JBroida

JBroida

Founding Member KKF Vendor

not necessarily, but it is a common handle in japan (called ichii)... lately, american cherry, american maple, keyaki, etc have become a bit more popular, as rosewood is a bit tough lately.

6. Nov 25, 2018 #186

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

He does make a mioroshi deba in blue. Not sure if it is 1 or 2 though.

7. Nov 27, 2018 #187

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

Taller machi? Personally I prefer taller machi-ed gyutos, no biggie for me.

Anyone try the stainless clad, white 2 Mazaki from Razorsharp, 210 in the top photo, pulled from their website. Looks like it has a taller machi to me. It's pricier though, goes for $297.

Bottom photo shows my 240 from JNS and 220 from CleanCut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Jan 3, 2019 #188

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

Old Mazaki profile vs New Mazaki profile.
    Not a completely fair comparison since both Mazakis are of different sizes, but I've used these two for long enough to form an opinion.

Top: 248mm Mazaki gyuto from JNS, circa February 2018, old profile with new grind, custom handle.
    Bottom: 220mm Mazaki gyuto from CC, circa November 2018, new profile and current grind, keyaki octagon handle.

VERDICT:
    Firstly, I do love them both—planning on getting a 245 from CC when I can afford it.
    • The 220 has better fit & finish; distal taper is more aggressive than my JNS version; a very nimble and versatile knife with to feel robust and versatile. The stock handle made of keyaki and horn on the 220 was better than the 248 stock d-handle, which was kind of clunky for my hands, so I got rid of it.
    • If I were to nitpick and pick a fave, my preference would be for the older Mazaki profile of the JNS version. I like the additional weight towards the tip, the higher nose and slightly more belly works better for me. The older profile performs with a little more character and uniqueness on the cutting board to me.

[​IMG]

9. Jan 3, 2019 #189

preizzo

preizzo

preizzo

Last 240 from cleancut DSC_0827.jpeg

jonnachang likes this.
  10. Jan 4, 2019 #190

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

Maz JNS 210, KW nashiji 210, CC 220

camphoto_654246144.jpg camphoto_1691952160.jpg camphoto_658816051.jpg camphoto_5916492.jpg

I think the old profile from CC is still my favorite.

ashy2classy, jonnachang and Spipet like this.
  11. Jan 4, 2019 #191

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

“• The 220 has better fit & finish; distal taper is more aggressive than my JNS version; a very nimble and versatile knife with to feel robust and versatile.”

I tend to think that the dramatic distal taper is a function of a shorter blade and its specific need to fit the geometry into that shorter space, it’s the same with Kato, where the 210’s look way more dramatic in the distal taper than their longer counterparts. This is especially true in the ku versions in Kato and nashiji in Mazaki.

But my favorite part about all of Maz’s is that cartoonish geometry, it’s the Jessica Rabbit of the knife world.

Xenif, Mucho Bocho and DitmasPork like this.
  12. Jan 4, 2019 #192

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

Thanks for the post. Appreciate seeing the Mazs’ side by side. The Nishiji profil looks to my eyes a hybrid of the JNS and older CC. Seems that the older CC has a flatter edge than my recent CC. Do you have a K&S Maz?

13. Jan 4, 2019 #193

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

Thanks Ditmas,

The K&S is the only one that got away, but I’ve held the 210 & 240. From all perspectives, they appear to be on par with the CC and the JNS, but with the heavier handle they feel like a wildly different knife. Haven’t heard the best things about the lifespan of the handles and the glue-up either... they seem to come loose after a serious work-up in a pro environment.

As for the nashiji, I would tend to agree, but maybe that’s a function of the timeline in which it was made? But this guy evolves so quickly, that would make sense, I guess... It’s almost a hybrid in every way- thicker at the spine, less pointy than the new JNS, and honestly at the moment in third place among the 3 I have, and I’d put K&S below that (again, only examined them but no cuts). Haven’t hit the rocks yet, so a little thinning and I’m sure it’ll compete against the others handily.

I suppose the ku is the last for me to grab, most likely it’ll be a cktg late night ‘oops I did it again’ type of purchase .

Here’s the distal for you as well...
    CC, JNS, KW in that order

IMG_4176.jpg IMG_4177.jpg IMG_4178.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    ashy2classy and DitmasPork like this.
  14. Jan 4, 2019 #194

Viggetorr

Viggetorr

Viggetorr

How do you find the tip on the later versions? Considering buying an octagonal 220 from CC, but a prerequisite for my next buy is a very thin tip that can handle onions and garlic well.

15. Jan 4, 2019 #195

Chicagohawkie

Chicagohawkie

Chicagohawkie

The tip on my later K&S version is laser thin. Chops through most everything with a robust backend and yet works the delicate stuff to perfection up front. With the upgraded handle and saya, at a price point under 300, this might be the best value knife I’ve owned and I’ve owned a lot of knives. Safe to say this knife will always remain with me.

16. Jan 5, 2019 #196

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

the new jns spec maz profile is completely changed, i havent tried it but from pictures i much prefer original.

greg what does KW stand for?

17. Jan 5, 2019 #197

Maccne0718

Maccne0718

Maccne0718

I believe Knifewear, a Canadian retailer

18. Jan 5, 2019 #198

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

Knifewear...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  19. Jan 5, 2019 #199

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

The thinnest tip of mine is the JNS by what fees like a landslide, tho we are speaking on some pretty narrow margins of course. camphoto_33463914.jpg (CC here against Hinoura migaki 210 and Kochi 225)
    The last two days I’ve been swapping out my different Maz against other like profiles, today I did the new JNS and it’s as Chicago says- destroys knives well above its weight class. The new JNS profile is really aggressive. View attachment 46522

(JNS 210 vs Kochi 225)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    DitmasPork likes this.
  20. Jan 5, 2019 #200

JBroida

JBroida

JBroida

Founding Member KKF Vendor

FWIW, not Tsukasa... its the Ajikataya line which is done by a collective effort at Hinoura hamono... mutsumi, tsukasa, and their apprentice (who's name escapes me at the moment)... only the knives with the "Tsukasa" engraving are sole authorship knives by Tsukasa-san

21. Jan 5, 2019 #201

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

Thanks Jon, I actually knew that too. Always keeping the nerds honest

22. Jan 5, 2019 #202

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

in other words only the ones with the right stamp can be sold for stupid money for same performance. in all honesty all i really want is a d-shape chestnut handle that only comes on tsukasa knives. why cant i order just that?? lol

DitmasPork likes this.
  23. Jan 6, 2019 #203

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

IMG_4491.jpg update on the 210 handle from KNS fwiw...

*more below, but this is a friend’s, he’s not a member, so I asked that I could share this to see if there’s any other similar experiences. This is the knife I’d mentioned in the previous post that the handle was coming loose...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  24. Jan 6, 2019 #204

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

I like that it comes apart like that. Convenient for cleaning inside the handle, and great when the knife is too long for your travel bag or if you need to cut in a cramped space. Looks good to me!!

Gregmega and DitmasPork like this.
  25. Jan 6, 2019 #205

preizzo

preizzo

preizzo

Ouch glued it back or send it to magic gray

26. Jan 6, 2019 #206

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

Gives a whole new meaning to blade forward balance ..... Did it just come apart one day like that? That's a KNS Mazaki so thats like a few months at most right?
    This also makes me wonder if any body has hollowed out their handle as a secret stash spot, and if any re-handlers ever find anything interesting inside old handles

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Gregmega likes this.
  27. Jan 6, 2019 #207

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

DitmasPork

What happened dude??!! Were you rock-chopping whole frozen Kabocha squash? What’re gonna do with that Maz? BTW, nice saya.

28. Jan 6, 2019 #208

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

This is the one that my buddy owns, he told me about two weeks ago that the handle was coming loose, sent me this pic last night. He works in a very demanding fine dining place, so I’m 100% positive there’s no serious mishandling (haha) going on. He also has the 240, so we’ll see if it’s a trend or a one-off. Has anybody else had the KNS Maz with a similar problem? I think they’ve begun the convo to amend the failure already, which is great.
    I missed the KNS BFS, and now I’m thinking my other purchases were wise ones...

Separate note, somehow I accidentally ordered a 180 petty and the 150 ku yanagi (thanks @MrHiggins) so even more Maz goodness coming my way.

29. Jan 6, 2019 #209

ianbiringer

ianbiringer

ianbiringer

By the way, what are you hoping to use the Maz 180 petty for? Excited for when mine arrives too. Me: soft proteins, some veg like broccoli, perhaps some light board work if it seems tall enough. I've also been hoping that it's durable enough to take apart the odd chicken or fish if I'm careful about bone contact. I remember someone saying that they used a Maz 165 petty as a boning knife on this forum, so who knows. Nice to have something that could do all of this reasonably well, since I have limited space on the knife strip.

30. Jan 6, 2019 #210

Gregmega

Gregmega

Gregmega

I believe this will be a great line knife, slicing proteins to the plate, small detail work, butchery, all that. I’ve alway been into short sujis, or long petties, depending on how you view it. Everyday, everything.