New Mazaki Profile. Opinions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 46551update on the 210 handle from KNS fwiw...

*more below, but this is a friend’s, he’s not a member, so I asked that I could share this to see if there’s any other similar experiences. This is the knife I’d mentioned in the previous post that the handle was coming loose...
That's what happens when you opt for yuppy handles lol

The tip on my later K&S version is laser thin. Chops through most everything with a robust backend and yet works the delicate stuff to perfection up front. With the upgraded handle and saya, at a price point under 300, this might be the best value knife I’ve owned and I’ve owned a lot of knives. Safe to say this knife will always remain with me.

The thinnest tip of mine is the JNS by what fees like a landslide, tho we are speaking on some pretty narrow margins of course.

Thanks guys. I wonder how much of the differences actually come down to the vendor and how much is simply individual differences between knives...

Gotta agree on both those points. Handmade has its variations. I don’t think the vendors are calling too many shots as far that the geometry would make too large or noticeable difference. Either way it’s a GD joy to use. No matter the vendor.

My 180 petty arrives tomorrow. Pumped.

camphoto_1251336619.jpg

When the sun comes back I’ll post the new ones, -180 petty and 150 yanagi

Very interested in your thoughts about 150 yanagiba!

It’s a great knife for the price. I really like it, it feels super sturdy and it’s a great length for small prep/slicing. A cool little knife (especially for a pro kitchen) that you didn’t know you needed.

Though like all JNS Maz, it needs a bit of a clean up... the ku is definitely painted on (not a true ku), the ura hasn’t been opened up yet, rough in a couple place, but no one ever said JNS is the benchmark for quality control.

Verdict- buy one. At 130$ it’s cool as H E double hockey sticks.
0d9cd66a0147692ed7679d3f488b08ec.jpg

Mazaki is a nice knife, but it's not one of my favorites. Maybe it was the OOB edge that let me down. Will see how I feel after some sharpening and maybe thinning.

True but I am not complaining about the knife. Plenty of things to like about it so far.

I do believe people are praising the strengths while ignoring the weaknesses.

True but I am not complaining about the knife. Plenty of things to like about it so far.

I've never really take to mine (JNS old version). I should really love it because its most things I like in a knife. Thick spine, heft, and a nice distal taper. I thinned mine, it helped some. The steel still feels off to me on the board and its not great on the stones.

I agree with this, it’s not the worst knife I have used but it’s certainly not close to the best either..

The steel still feels off to me on the board and its not great on the stones.

Wasn't this OP / Panda's original complaint? I'm personally on the suprised with Mazaki for two reasons:

1) hasn't mastered his own profile yet; and
2) hasn't mastered white2 heat treat

Because while he's a young smith, he's still like 40 years old isn't he?

How do you go 10 years of apprentice
or whatver an then change profile in 6m
and make like hundreds and hundreds of them?

Not just gyutos, but the petty and whatever
looks different now too?

Not trying to be a buzzkill, but its a bit strange
and would be intersting to hear vendor/dealer
perspective (are they happy? pissed? inolved?)

Doom- that could totally be true. But that list is short imo, especially against knives that are twice as much.

Wdestate- true, not the best, but fun as hell, cheap, and climbed to the top of the ones that I grab when putting together my kit for the day.

HRC- I’m not sure what’s happening, but the evolution is swift. Also I’ve been very lucky. Even with inconsistencies that happen, mine have largely been the winners. A couple buddies got some pretty wonky pieces and had completely opposite experiences to mine. At 6 days on the original edge (a couple strops in between), I was shocked. So heat treat clearly not an issue anymore. What’s the best way to get better- repetition and modulation. And damn he’s fast.

I have a widely unbalanced collection towards white 1/2, it’s a preference for my kind of work (but that’s another story entirely), and I’ve only one knife to compare the level of heat treat to- Hinoura. The edge even outlasts some of my blues.

The one i tried was okay, but certainly too thick behind the edge and too wedgy for my taste.

I like this. In most instances it's the opposite - people only remember and ***** about the negatives. I'm reading very general comments about how these are good but not great to some. I would love to hear more details about what folks don't like about them. I definitely don't think everything about them is perfect, but there are a lot of things to like about Mazaki's blades and, as @Gregmega stated, the list of weaknesses is pretty short, IMO.

Last edited:
I like this. In most instances it's the opposite - people only remember and ***** about the negatives. I'm reading very general comments about how these are good but not great to some. I would love to hear more details about what folks don't like about them. I definitely don't think everything about them is perfect, but there are a lot of things to like about Mazaki's blades and, as @Gregmega stated, the list of weaknesses is pretty short, IMO.

There is so many versions out there now I’m sure there are different things, on my part I have one of the newer jns versions. It came very thick behind the edge especially towards the tip which is specifically where I don’t want that, not a huge fan of the feel of the steel either, retention however was good, the Choil area was very half hearty rounded and had a bunch of sharp parts to it and the “working Kasumi” finish is extremely rough and scratches were deep, I had to use a 140 diamond plate to get them out. That being said after the work put into it it’s a fine knife and yes it doesn’t break the bank but it’s also not cheap, I can think of quite a few knives I would prefer in the price range.

Back