New member check in

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
Thank you for allowing myself into your forum, I'm looking forward to learning as much as I possibly can. I'm a retired cook(due to disability), and have done most of my work on the Las Vegas Strip. First at the MGM Grand for about three years, then I moved onto Mandalay Bay from June of 2000-October of 2005, from there I moved to Caesar's Palace from October of 2005-January of 2008, and then did a fairly short stint at Sunset Station, after which I began to come down with some pretty severe disabilities, and eventually retired. My favorite position of all was working in the Room Service section of Caesar's Palace, where the position I held allowed me, as a cook, to make and execute out my own menu, of my own creation for the high limit sections of the gaming floor. It was a very liberating and fulfilling position that allowed me to exercise as much creative energy as I had in me at the time.

Welcome, Isabella!
How exciting to have been able to make and execute your own menu! What type of foods do you like to create? And what types of knives interest you?

Hello,
Thank you for allowing myself into your forum, I'm looking forward to learning as much as I possibly can. I'm a retired cook(due to disability), and have done most of my work on the Las Vegas Strip. First at the MGM Grand for about three years, then I moved onto Mandalay Bay from June of 2000-October of 2005, from there I moved to Caesar's Palace from October of 2005-January of 2008, and then did a fairly short stint at Sunset Station, after which I began to come down with some pretty severe disabilities, and eventually retired. My favorite position of all was working in the Room Service section of Caesar's Palace, where the position I held allowed me, as a cook, to make and execute out my own menu, of my own creation for the high limit sections of the gaming floor. It was a very liberating and fulfilling position that allowed me to exercise as much creative energy as I had in me at the time.

Welcome, Isabella!
How exciting to have been able to make and execute your own menu! What type of foods do you like to create? And what types of knives interest you?
Thank you for the reply. I mainly created crossover dishes, for instance Asian dishes with influences from other cultures, as well as traditional dishes like chicken parmigiana, veal Marsala, pork tenderloin with blackberry brandy glaze, beef tenderloin with chipotle rub, chicken masala, chicken sate with peanut sauce, lamb chops with homemade demi glaze and mint sauce on the side, leg of lambs, some New Orleans inspired dishes, oysters Rockefeller, beef tenderloin slices with burnaise sauce, pretty much whatever sounded good at the time. I have not yet started collecting high quality knives, because I’m used to sharpening knives with the Tormek, and have recently started sharpening knives with Japanese water stones, and need to get my skill level up before I’m willing to sharpen good knives. I like Japanese knives and the first one I want to get is the Sukenari 270mm Aogami Super.

Those sound mouthwatering, and I hope you'll consider posting more about your crossover dishes on one of KKF's cooking forums here :).

I'm new to knife study altogether (2 day member), but it's interesting that you mention the Tormek, as I've *just* entered into a thread about it on the Sharpening Station forum! That may be a good place for you to start your KKF explorations, though I'm certain you'll find great conversations in them all.

Happy exploring!

Thank you for the reply. I mainly created crossover dishes, for instance Asian dishes with influences from other cultures, as well as traditional dishes like chicken parmigiana, veal Marsala, pork tenderloin with blackberry brandy glaze, beef tenderloin with chipotle rub, chicken masala, chicken sate with peanut sauce, lamb chops with homemade demi glaze and mint sauce on the side, leg of lambs, some New Orleans inspired dishes, oysters Rockefeller, beef tenderloin slices with burnaise sauce, pretty much whatever sounded good at the time. I have not yet started collecting high quality knives, because I’m used to sharpening knives with the Tormek, and have recently started sharpening knives with Japanese water stones, and need to get my skill level up before I’m willing to sharpen good knives. I like Japanese knives and the first one I want to get is the Sukenari 270mm Aogami Super.

Those sound mouthwatering, and I hope you'll consider posting more about your crossover dishes on one of KKF's cooking forums here :).

I'm new to knife study altogether (2 day member), but it's interesting that you mention the Tormek, as I've *just* entered into a thread about it on the Sharpening Station forum! That may be a good place for you to start your KKF explorations, though I'm certain you'll find great conversations in them all.

Happy exploring!
Thank you very much for the reply & recommendation, I appreciate it.

Back