New member, collector

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My name is Elliot. I am a passionate home cook who has a bit of a problem with knives and Japanese natural stones. I have a growing collection and want to learn as much as I possibly can about knives, the blacksmiths, sharpening and anything else you could imagine in this ever-deepening rabbit hole.

Welcome. Show us what you got

Thanks! Here's a partial family photo!

From left to right:

- Kagekiyo White #1 Gyuto 240
- Masamoto KS Kiritsuke 240
- Konosuke HD2 Gyuto 240
- Yoshikane SLD 210 Gyuto
- Doi Blue #2 Gyuto 210
- Ikeda Blue #1 Suminagashi Santoku 180
- Takeda AS Bunka 175
- Shibata Kotetsu R2 Petty 150
- Watanabe Kintaroame Petty 125
- Hinoura River Jump Herder Special K2 Santoku 110

NOT PICTURED:

- Ikeda Mizu-Honyaki White #2 Gyuto 270
- Toyama Kasumi Gyuto White #2 Gyuto 270
- TF Denka Gyuto 240
- Sakai Kikumori 'Choyo' Ginsanko Gyuto 240
- Kato Standard Gyuto 210
- Kono Fuji Blue #1 Gyuto 210
- Watanabe Pro Nakiri 180
- Shig KU Santoku 165
- Masakage Koishi Ko Bunka 135

I think that's everything :)

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Thanks! Here's a partial family photo!

From left to right:

- Kagekiyo White #1 Gyuto 240
- Masamoto KS Kiritsuke 240
- Konosuke HD2 Gyuto 240
- Yoshikane SLD 210 Gyuto
- Doi Blue #1 Gyuto 210
- Ikeda Blue #1 Suminagashi Santoku 180
- Takeda AS Bunka 175
- Shibata Kotetsu R2 Petty 150
- Watanabe Kintaroame Petty 125
- Hinoura River Jump Herder Special K2 Santoku 110

NOT PICTURED:

- Ikeda Mizu-Honyaki White #2 Gyuto 270
- Toyama Kasumi Gyuto White #2 Gyuto 270
- TF Denka Gyuto 240
- Sakai Kikumori 'Choyo' Ginsanko Gyuto 240
- Kato Standard Gyuto 210
- Kono Fuji Blue #1 Gyuto 210
- Watanabe Pro Nakiri 180
- Shig KU Santoku 165
- Masakage Koishi Ko Bunka 135

I think that's everything :)

Looks great and a wonderful collection. Let’s see the honyaki ikeda when you can

Happy to share later this week. She is just shipping out from Bernal today!

If this is your collection just starting off, I’m looking forward to the family photo this time next year

Where is are the Carter, Burke, Haburn &/or Maumasi ... to name a few from your "hood"?

Welcome - seems like you probably already know this little rabbit paradise!

TjA

I actually haven't gotten into any custom yet and have been curious to learn about makers in my area. Maumasi moved I think and, to be honest, I had not heard of Burke or Haburn so thanks for a little name dropping! I actually really like Carter's knives, especially his unique Funayuki profile.

Might want to look up another local named Kramer while you are at it :D

HA! Heard of him, but something about paying to be even on a list rubs me the wrong way. And I hear there's nothing that sells for less than several months' mortgage.

I remember going to get my knives sharpened by him back in the 90's when he had his shop down by the King Dome. A 9" chef knife back then was like $250. I kick myself for not buying. I cut myself in his shop too. I pickup up one of his bread knives the the heal of the blade nicked me. Sucker bled a lot longer then I expected it too!

I remember going to get my knives sharpened by him back in the 90's when he had his shop down by the King Dome. A 9" chef knife back then was like $250. I kick myself for not buying. I cut myself in his shop too. I pickup up one of his bread knives the the heal of the blade nicked me. Sucker bled a lot longer then I expected it too!

Ugh, that sounds so crazy! I think that's what holds me back. While I appreciate the idea of supporting a local-ish craftsman. . . if I have $2k to put on a knife, I am buying "The James" Togashi honyaki or a Hinoura 'River Jump' Gyuto full size. Something like that :D.

Hey everyone,

My name is Elliot. I am a passionate home cook who has a bit of a problem with knives and Japanese natural stones. I have a growing collection and want to learn as much as I possibly can about knives, the blacksmiths, sharpening and anything else you could imagine in this ever-deepening rabbit hole.

Welcome!! I like natural stones very much. Glad to hear you like natural stones too.

Back