New Member Introduction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks! Hope I am doing this right, if I'm not, I'm sure someone will tell me. I go by veronajack (loong story), but my name is BJ Clay. I am older, a 28-yr, fully disabled, USAF veteran. And I like to get into trouble, you know, by collecting things. I am already an avid folding knife collector and now I have turned my attention to Japanese knives. I have been into this only about 2 weeks, and already have bought: 2 Kohetsu Hap40's-a kirisutke and a nakiri; a Kei Kobayashi petty knife; a Hatsukokoro Hap40 petty knife; a Hasegawa cutting board; a new knife block; and various Japanese sharpening plates to maintain these new knives. I never do things halfway, much to the intense dismay of my 5 daughters. As you may detect, I am not a traditionalist, I believe in the new supersteels-just think, what if the Japanese got ahold of magnacut? I digress, this does not prevent me from wanting a kickass Aogami superblue laserbeam. I have already received the Kobayashi; OH MY GOSH! That is Easily the sharpest knife I have ever touched! I like to cook, and the thought of using that knife every day just makes me smile. I hope this is sufficient. I already see you have massdrops, I don't ever seem to move quickly enough to get in those things, but that won't stop me trying! I appreciate finding this community, and hope to be able to learn more about the fascinating world of kitchen knives. Your brother in knives, BJ Clay.

You did't quite understand me. I AM a much older vet. I was 28 years IN the USAF. Can you tell me who is making knives in Magnacut?

Gotchya. :)

As for Magnacut, it's western makers right now. We have two makers right here on KKF actively using it. @MSicardCutlery and @Illyria are both using it. Devon Thomas, father of the steel's inventor is also using it and I know that I've seen many other names but you'd have to ask the much more educated KKF bunch. Start a thread in the Kitchen Knife sub-forum and I bet you'll get some real good answers.

Last edited:
Gotchya. :)

As for Magnacut, it's western makers right now. We have two makers right here on KKF actively using it. @MSicardCutlery and @Illyria are both using it. Devon Thomas, father of the steel's inventor is also using it and I know that I've seen many other names but you'd have to ask the much more educated KKF bunch. Start a thread in the Kitchen Knife sub-forum and I bet you'll get some real good answers.
@HSC /// Knives is using MagnaCut also.

Back