new member just saying hi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a new member (obviously) and I have a "dumb" question. In order to submit the new account information, I was challenged with a question about what color is associated with knives. Fortunately, it gave me an alternate math question. So, what color is associated with knives?

My interest in knives stems primarily from being a "home chef". I worked as a chef for two seasons at a summer resort (while in college). I got my first chef knife in that job and still have it, for stuff I wouldn't do with my Japanese knives.

I am looking forward to learning more, and perhaps some Buy/Sell. Well, no one would actually buy the stuff I don't want, so it's more likely to be donated.

Thanks for reading,
Jon

Welcome.

I didn't pose the question but the answer is likely "blue" or "white" as in blue steel or white steel - both are carbon steels by Hitachi that are used in Japanese knife making.

It's a bit of a misnomer as the blue, white, (silver, gold) have nothing to do with the color of the steel but refers to the color of the paper the steel is wrapped in when coming from Hitachi.

If you're not confused yet there are blue 1, blue 2, white 1 - 3, among others, each with it's own properties. And of course Hitachi is not the only steel maker....

Back