Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. What knives do you currently use?

Welcome. What knives do you currently use?
Nothing super amazing right now. I've got a shun premier 8"chef, global paring, Mercer nakiri, dau vua (I know people here hate them)bunka, a japanese slicer that I cant remember the maker of, a kai honesuki. Pretty much cheap knives that I spend a lot of time doing maintenance on to keep sharp and useable.

Welcome!

I've seen that some people are not keen on Dao Vua, but also have seen other people quite long on them. I personally love the look, and have always been tempted to give one a go. What do you think of yours...?

G'day and welcome to the forum.
Don't think people hate Dao Vua Knives here. They're not going to set the world on fire but they're worth a look at their price point. Besides, they can only help improve your maintenance skills.

Welcome, it is always good to have more chefs on the site. I think there is more hate for Dao Vua on Reddit than there is here. The qc is unquestionably bad but the better examples are okay price considered. I have one of the bunkas, mostly for use as a sharpening practice mule. The Tosa knife makers like Murata, Zakuri, Muneishsi/Yusaku, Kajiwara, etc. usually offer really decent treatments of Aogami 1 or 2 and should be a step up in quality of steel from what you're used to without breaking the bank.

I quite like the dao bunka I have . I use it daily. It needs more maintenance than some of my other knives. I sharpen that one and kai pretty much weekly.

Welcome, it is always good to have more chefs on the site. I think there is more hate for Dao Vua on Reddit than there is here. The qc is unquestionably bad but the better examples are okay price considered. I have one of the bunkas, mostly for use as a sharpening practice mule. The Tosa knife makers like Murata, Zakuri, Muneishsi/Yusaku, Kajiwara, etc. usually offer really decent treatments of Aogami 1 or 2 and should be a step up in quality of steel from what you're used to without breaking the bank.
I'll have to check those makers out. Thank you

Last edited:
Back