New Offerin/Design Finished

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
I finished these today. The bigger one is 2 x 16 x 22, the next is 2 x 14 x 20 and the smallest is 2 x 12 x 18. As always, if anyone is interested, contact me for pricing.

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

Those are incredibly beautiful boards. However, the new designs seem to break some of your rules regarding what makes a cutting board useful and durable. The various smaller pieces increase the amount of glue in the board that a knife will cross. Also, the grid pieces won't allow it to handle expansion/contraction as well as your standard boards.

I'm sure that those boards are still more usable and durable than any board made by virtually anyone else, but for functionality I'd have to stick to a plain slab, made by you of course.

:sofa:
I know I don't post much, so I might have overstepped some bounds with my criticism, but I thought it had to be said.

Thank you for the compliment about the boards. They started out as an experiment and have quickly gotten quite popular.

Yes, there are more glue lines, about double than normal. However, as compared to other manufacturers, I still have less glue line area. In the past, I believe the discussions about glue lines was about the amount of glue lines used in a bamboo board which is many times greater than anything I have ever made. This discussion went along with the idea of what kind of glue/resins do the Asian manufacturers use compared to the softer cross-linked polymer glue I use. The brand I use is softer and stays plyable even though dry.

Wood expansion could be a problem if I used end grain pieces and long grain pieces in the same board. But if you will look closely you will see that all the pieces are end grain so they will all move in the same direction which makes the board more stable. I had to take this into consideration before they were made and spent a lot of time making sure the grain in all the pieces were compatable.

There is a reason why I use four types of wood, several different sizes and designs, not everyone will like the same thing. Like your choice, a plain slab, some would think it is the best and some others might shun it for some reason. Personal preference.

Glad to see your post and hope you post more. I always enjoy a spirited conversation about any of my boards and I thank
you for allowing me the chance to explain my thought process a little bit.

BTW Chandler, AZ is a pretty town especially in the spring. Been there twice and thoroughly enjoyed it.

i like them kind of like having a slab of bricks in the kitchen to cut on and could fit in well most anyplace but maybe best in a rustic style

Back