New Petty Recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeLoveshighCarbon

Reaction score
'Merica

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
petty 120-150
Are you right or left handed?
 Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either, but I like Japanese handles better and they tend to be cheaper

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

120-150mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no, but prefer at least stainless cladding at least for the petty

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

170$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

cutting soft vegetables and fruit for quick prep

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

150mm TF nashiji

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

 pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Pull cuts and saw and pull cuts with the petty, push with larger knives

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I found TF 150 nashiji to be the perfect petty profile for me, but I didn't like how chippy the blade was, so was looking for something with a similiar profile that preferably had a blue steel core that isnt a denka. I could go full stainless too, but a similiar profile and thickness is the main thing. Also looking for a second knife with a 120mm length and similiar requirements.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

The bluer the steel, the better in my experience.

Thank you all foe your advice!

Sounds like you're looking for a Matsubara (either stainless-clad B#2, or ginsan). There's some variation between the different Matsubara grinds, but equally as much variance in TF grinds. So it's hard to say whether they will have the same thickness as you're looking for. Either way, I really like both of these makers a lot.

Not to be someone who would try to talk anyone out of buying more knives, but have you tried changing the geometry of the edge. Either creating a micro bevel or slightly increasing the edge angle? If the petty is otherwise perfect for you, maybe playing with sharpening can eliminate chipping. For your use you should be able to create a stable edge that also cuts well.

Not to be someone who would try to talk anyone out of buying more knives, but have you tried changing the geometry of the edge. Either creating a micro bevel or slightly increasing the edge angle? If the petty is otherwise perfect for you, maybe playing with sharpening can eliminate chipping. For your use you should be able to create a stable edge that also cuts well.
Good call on that! I left it with its factory edge and only sharpened it after I saw it had a couple chips in the, then gave the knife to a friend. I might just buy another, but wanted to see if there was a similiar knife out there that wasn't the TF heat treat.

Back