new profiles; suji and petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
Ok after the big redesign of the gyuto profile and grind I want to work on some other designs. :viking:
first is a 245mm suji 46mm at the heel
second is a 155mm petty 35mm at the heel
I would like to hear your thoughts, they are cardboard at the moment, but I am headed out to work on them in steel.
More pics later on.
Del

newsuji.jpg

newpetty.jpg

Suji isn't sleek enough. A little tall at the heel perhaps? Kinda looks like a Masamato KS gyuto as is.

Profiled out in steel, one of my gyutos and the new suji and petty :viking:

Del

pgs group.jpg

Suji isn't sleek enough. A little tall at the heel perhaps? Kinda looks like a Masamato KS gyuto as is.

You know after taking a look at that gyuto(the masamoto) I agree. I also took a look at some more sujis and I agree that it could be a bit shorter at the heel maybe 40mm rather than the 46mm.
Del

Hmm... It seems the real question is what is the purpose of your "suji," if that's what you want to call it. This knife is really a narrow gyuto (My 240 A-type gyuto is exactly your "suji" albeit a somewhat stubbier version.) or possibly a "line knife" type deal. A slicer should be more narrow to reduce drag and have more curve to maximize edge length. The petty seems fine to me although I'd flatten the profile a touch and get the handle up some just like your gyuto redesign. If the primary purpose was for meat cleaning type stuff, I'd actually make the tip pointier and and some more curve.

Ok the suji is 40mm tall with a slightly adjusted profile :viking:
Del

pgs group2.jpg

Ok what do you guys think of the first knife(the one I called a suji) as a short(less tall) gyuto rather than calling it a suji. Just got a pm to that effect. I can make it that way too.
Del

Ok what do you guys think of the first knife(the one I called a suji) as a short(less tall) gyuto rather than calling it a suji. Just got a pm to that effect. I can make it that way too.
Del

I like the short profile gyutos, if you thin it out, laser like with a 70/30 bevel it may be a great knife. Reminds me of a Aritsugu A-type. Which I think are well regarded once you fix the sharpening job.

Not going to hide the fact that come september I'm seriously considering contacting you about a knife (if I can work the funds in) this is profile I would definitely consider.

edit: I may be a bit biased tho as a home cook I really like using my petty's (180 - 210 mm) and I never have hours of prep work to do.

Del

While I have a gyuto on order with Del, I really like the shape of the short gyuto...Del has come up with some great profiles lately.

This new profile would be a nice all purpose suji/line knife and it seems easily scaleable to slightly shorter or longer, Del.

I like the lower height gyutos myself. I've got an A-Type and it's one of my favorite knives. I practically never use my knives to scoop up any thing off the cutting board so blade height is and issue for me.

BTW, is there some reason you chose not to do a 270mm or larger suji?

I like the new suji profile now, though I would go a little longer or a little narrower still. I'd like to clarify my earlier statement. Originally it wasn't what I would call a suji, but I do like that original profile as a narrow gyuto... In fact, I prefer narrower gyutos. Basically I think it was a good profile for a kitchen knife, but it just wasn't a suji.

Great work, Del.

I like the new suji profile now, though I would go a little longer or a little narrower still. I'd like to clarify my earlier statement. Originally it wasn't what I would call a suji, but I do like that original profile as a narrow gyuto... In fact, I prefer narrower gyutos. Basically I think it was a good profile for a kitchen knife, but it just wasn't a suji.

Great work, Del.

No worries Joe, I am a bit attached to the wider blades and that felt like a suji to me. I like to play around the edges of designs.
Del

The petty seems fine to me although I'd flatten the profile a touch and get the handle up...

What he said.

A little rise on a petty handle is a good thing, just 5-10 degrees, it makes the narrow profile more board friendly.

I really like the profile on those petties - i like the wider than usually height. A little rise on the handle would be cool though. And coincidently, I am in the market for a petty... And, i agree with everything concerning the shape of the "sujihiki" - great shape, just not the best for a slicer. Are these to be done in AEB-L this batch?

I really like the profile on those petties - i like the wider than usually height. A little rise on the handle would be cool though. And coincidently, I am in the market for a petty... And, i agree with everything concerning the shape of the "sujihiki" - great shape, just not the best for a slicer. Are these to be done in AEB-L this batch?

I will be doing a couple of AEB-L gyutos here shortly, I may be able to squeeze in a petty or two.
Thanks,
Del

Profiled out in steel, one of my gyutos and the new suji and petty :viking:

Del

Del, what is your general profile for a "standard gyuto?" The one I have in front of me (pass around knife) is a very comfortable size at about 248mm x 50mm.

Also this one is thin and flat ground, does the convexed blade start out a bit thicker?

This is my (new) standard profile(pic of finished knife) which is about 56mm at the heel
Here is also a pic of that profile along with my first iteration of a suji, which I have been advised is a bit tall for a suji, but is cool for a short(less tall) gyuto. I may offer that profile as an option in the future. :viking:
All of these are 245+mm
The convexed blade starts out with the same thickness stock(about 2mm) but the convexed blades are much stiffer than the full flats.
Thanks,
Del

...looking good Del! I just profiled my first kitchen knives (my own design, lol) and they look quite a bit like the Gyuto and middle knife, cool!

How long is the Gyuto in inches, I'm wondering about the total length. I lost my metric ruler!

Keep up the great work!

Dan, the blade is close to 9.75 inches the overall size is just over 16 inches.
Del

Back