New Project - Makers, Hobbyists, Tweakers, Knife Nuts with Garages - You NEED to Read This!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick update on the grinder project

The first grinder 2x48U-2HP is ready to ship, and I expect it within 10 days. The work on the second grinder, 2x72U -2HP is under way, and this grinder should be completed by the end of next week.

After that one, Devin's 2x72U-3HP is going to be produced, followed by Chris' 2x72U-3PH, and then possibly two 2x72U-3HP for me.

We are also working on a liquid cooled plate-quench pneumatic press (for alloyed steels). This one is for me, but if there is interest, we could make a similar press to order. At some point not in so distant future, we will also work on hydraulic press (for me), but it could become a product if there is an interest.

Will post pictures as they become available.

Thank you.

Forgot to mention that salt pods are also in the process of being designed and subsequently made.

Marko

Forgot to mention that salt pods are also in the process of being designed and subsequently made.

Marko

Salt pods will be based on this design, but will be smaller.

Salt pod.jpg

36" radius plate prototype in D2 is here. 62RC. Need to clean up the scales, but overall, we are happy about the quality.

36radiusplate2.jpg

36radiusplate.jpg

36radiusplate3.jpg

PS: A website for grinders and other knife-making and metal-working machines and tools is coming soon. www.stmachineworks.com

New Pics

An update. We are working on two grinders at the moment, 2x72U - 3HP, 2x72U - 2HP, as well as working to introduce a new belt tensioning design. This design will be ofered along with coil spring design. Pics below are WIP pics. A finished grinders pics will be available by the end of the week.

The grinder in pictures - 2x72U-3HP

grinder38.jpg

grinder37.jpg

grinder36.jpg

grinder 35.jpg

grinder 34.jpg

grinder33.jpg

grinder32.jpg

grinder31.jpg

Oooh man, that looks nice. Looking firward to getting it and putting it to work.

Hoss

Oooh man, that looks nice. Looking firward to getting it and putting it to work.

Hoss

This grinder was given 12 on a scale of one to ten)) at a local knife show. Most makers who tried grinding it, attested that 3HP is a natural fit for this big boy. Also, the KBAC VFD allows to change frequency output, so the 1800rpm Leeson motor can run double the speed at 120Hz frequency.

Three grinders are finished and are ready to be shipped. Those are 2x48V - 1HP, 2x48U-2HP, and 2x72U - 3HP. Will try to sort out all shipping hurdles and get them all out in the beginning of the week.

There are two grinders currently in works, 2x72U -3HP and 2x72U-2HP.

Thanks,

Marko

Love the pictures Marko!!

By the way, I apologize for the confusion in the email, lol. I saw this post in my email on my phone, and didn't click the link. At a glance, it read that there were two 2x72's ready! That's why I asked about the second one. Now I understand why your answer didn't even touch on where the second one was going. It's not made yet :D.

Anyhow, thanks again...these things are real beauties!!

Marko, you still hoping to show off some equipment at the upcoming ECG?

I am not sure, to be honest. To save $250 or so on assembled grinder shipping cost, the grinder will be shipped directly to the buyer, the motor will be dropshipped from Leeson and I will ship configured VFD. The assembly is pretty straightforward, 4 bolts, 4 screws and 3 wires.

I am in the very end of the line with my orders, so I don't know if I get anything in time to bring to ECG. (((

A "cobbler's children have no shoes" phenomena)))

A quick video from the local knife show in Kiev (starts at 9:50s) where the grinder was shown and where it got 12 points on a scale one to ten ))

[video=youtube;k9E1F6wB_t4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=590&v=k9E1F6wB_t4[/video]

Such beautiful, beautiful knives...

I do have another question based on the videos and pictures though. What is the form factor of the grinder? From base to top/tracking wheel, and from back of motor to the front of the base would be awesome.

The reason I ask, is that I think the bench I setup for it might be too tall, lol.

Latest grinder, two-tone, with a stand. It's sits low, as the knife maker likes to work sitting on a low chair in the front of the grinder, using his knees as tool rest when grinding on a wheel))) It's 2x60. It's grinder maker's one of the last bespoken orders

0_246d97_9490f73a_orig.jpg

0_24729c_8a28cbb7_orig.jpg

0_24729a_ca8ea6aa_orig.jpg

0_246d95_dfd0ca5a_orig.jpg

After many hurdles, I am finally taking a delivery of a first grinder sometimes next week. It's already in transit and I already have a domestic tracking for it. The second grinder (hello Mike) will also be shipped to me and picked up locally. After that, we are going to drop ship directly to the customer, to save on shipping cost (unless a special request), so Devin's is going to be shipped directly.

There are two grinders in works, Universal 2x72 - 2HP, and 2x72 - 3HP. 2HP should be completed this week and shipped some time next week, and universal 3HP should be completed next week.

After that, we should get at a production rate at 1 grinder per week.

Thanks,

Marko

Awesome! Will the 3hp go out the same week it's finished? Or would it go out the following week?

Back